Bad wood pile

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's also take the word finish. When you are done with the finish on a particular piece of wood, you are said to have finished with the finish. But then, there may also be Finnish that finish the finish and are finally finished.

And I've always wondered why doesn't "Buick" rhyme with "quick."

Backwoods Savage said:
And I've always wondered why doesn't "Buick" rhyme with "quick."
That's the oddities of the English language. Take the "in" prefix that usually reverses the meaning of the root word. For example, indecisive versus decisive, insufficient versus sufficient. Why then doesn't it work for inflammable versus flammable?

LLigetfa said:
Why then doesn't it work for inflammable versus flammable?

Que? as far as I know inflammable means not flammable.....

and its a Parkway because it is a Way with a Park in it. Like NJ's "wonderful" garden state parkway. :)

Backwoods Savage said:
Jake, do you slow up or slow down?
Well, do you go uptown or downtown?
Could stoplights also be called golights?

Better stop while I'm ahead...

Well since you asked . . .

Do I slow up or slow down? . . . Answer: Neither. Jake works at just one speed so he doesn't need to slow up or slow down . . . that speed incidentally is just a notch above sloth-like speed.

Do I go uptown or downtown . . . Answer: Neither. Unity isn't really big enough to have an uptown, downtown or in between town . . . usually when I want to get a pizza I just go "to town."

Could stoplights be called golights . . . Answer: I wouldn't know . . . Unity isn't big enough for a stoplight/golight . . . heck, until a few years back my County only had one stoplight/golight . . . I think they have three or four now though in Belfast. Unity does have a couple of blinking yellow/red lights . . . are those stoplights/golights or Proceed Cautiously Lights? ;) :)

if nothing sticks to teflon how do they stick teflon to the pan ,how come when a plane just about collides with another plane up in the air they call it a near miss
it was a near hit ..not a near miss

Well lexybird, it is somewhat like being a little bit pregnant. Can that happen?

I do wonder about those Proceed Cautiously lights...

Backpack09 said:
LLigetfa said:
Why then doesn't it work for inflammable versus flammable?

Que? as far as I know inflammable means not flammable.....

and its a Parkway because it is a Way with a Park in it. Like NJ's "wonderful" garden state parkway. :)

Inflammable does NOT mean "not flammable". You have probably caused millions of injuries/deaths.

Inflammable is a synonym for flammable, but the reason for it is that "inflammable" is not actually an English word. I believe it's French, but maybe spanish.

in·flam·ma·ble (¹n-fl²m“…-b…l) adj. 1. Easily ignited and capable of burning rapidly; flammable. See Usage Note at flammable. 2. Quickly or easily aroused to strong emotion; excitable

From the American Heritage Dictionary

yes, but it's taken from French. If that dictionary has etymology, then it will be in there.

But etymology..... Is that cureable?

Depends. What type of medical coverage does American Heritage offer?

I am originally from NY. May be an urban legend but was told the "parkways" were built on Long Island to bring cars in the 50's to the park (Jones Beach State Park). I was also told that they purposely built the bridges (overpasses) too low to prevent buses from coming with people from the cities. Don't know if its true, but makes a good story!

Still, there's still the whole park IN the driveway versus ON thing. Waddup widdat? It's not a park versus drive thing cuz you can park ON the street or park ON the lawn. Same thing with a parking lot. One parks IN the parking lot, not ON the parking lot.

I've parked IN the street as well, but people beep at your car.

A side note: I'm from CT all my life and had never heard of frost heave, either, nor really witnessed a phenomenon such as that. Must just not get cold enough here.

karri0n said:
I've parked IN the street as well, but people beep at your car.

A side note: I'm from CT all my life and had never heard of frost heave, either, nor really witnessed a phenomenon such as that. Must just not get cold enough here.

Maybe it's just a Maine/New Hampshire thing since I remember that there were a few guys from CT in my first year at college that also had no idea what the "Frost Heave" signs meant when they spotted them in the Spring.

You mean this one?
tc-14.jpg

firefighterjake said:
Maybe it's just a Maine/New Hampshire thing since I remember that there were a few guys from CT in my first year at college that also had no idea what the "Frost Heave" signs meant when they spotted them in the Spring.

Well, it's definitely a Wisconsin thing too. I can't drive down the main street through town at the posted speed limit without almost getting my F150 airborne!

LLigetfa said:
You mean this one?
tc-14.jpg

Ah, the good old "Warning, flying mountains" sign! Actually, I can't say I've seen that before.

LLigetfa said:
You mean this one?
tc-14.jpg

Nope . . . Mainers are a little more literate . . . they actually write out the words "Frost Heave" but I have noticed more recent signs simply say "Bump" -- probably trying to save printing costs . . . or maybe they figure there are too many outer staters coming in who have no idea what a frost heave is. ;) :)

Incidentally, is this sign really for frost heaves . . . because if I saw this sign I would have no idea of what it means . . . maybe rough road ahead or grating ahead.

or maybe little small houses built really close together ahead.

We just use "Bump" here in the Midwest. There isn't much doubt as to what caused it!

I thought that meant "Camp Here for Alien Abduction". Rick

If you think this sign means "Camp Here for Alien Abduction", you might be a Redneck. :)

Just kiddin' Rick. I just figured Jeff Foxworthy had to bust into this thread at some point.

I'm gonna look to find me one of them signs, and that's where I'm gonna camp out. It's been a good spell since I was last abducted, but as I recollect I had a right nice time up there. I'll check down New Mexico way, I hear there's some activity there from time to time. :p Rick

Frost heave is another reason we got away from stacking and went to piling. The only wood we stack is our junk shoulder season wood...almost hate to call it junk cause it works so perfectly. Anyway this pile was perfectly stacked before winter.

3326220024_85e6332396.jpg

That's an impressive amount of lean for a still standing stack of wood!

What a pain frost heave must be. Does it cause issues with structural things like buildings? Or do the codes factor it in and force you to over-engineer accordingly?

That wood looks great to me too, do you term it "junk" wood because it is less BTU's compared to what you burn in winter?

Status
Not open for further replies.