Badgerland pellets, have you tried em?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

packerfan

Feeling the Heat
Dec 2, 2007
frozen tundra
I was at my local hardware store and noticed that they have Badgerland Pellets. If anyone has tried them, I would be interested in knowing how you liked them. I'm tempted to pick up a couple of bags to see for myself, but at the price of $4 a bag, they are a little more expensive than other brands in my area.

I'd also be interested in finding out who makes them as well. I tried searching on the net, and didn't find a thing about them.

Looks like a probable factory location. You know its got t be in WI since they are called "Badgerland".

I haven't heard of them either. Please post back and let me know how they are, and what store you got them at. I am always looking for the best pellet to run.

Yardbird said:
I haven't heard of them either. Please post back and let me know how they are, and what store you got them at. I am always looking for the best pellet to run.

I found these at the local ace hardware store in west bend. After posting the start of this thread, I decided to go out and get a couple of bags to see how they are for myself. I've only been burning them now for a couple of hours, and I'll post how they worked out for me in the next day or 2. I did notice that they were mostly shorter pellets (about 1/2" ) and there wasn't a lot of fines in the first bag I dumped in my hopper.

Well, after burning a couple of bags, I thought that they were pretty decent. I got less than my normal amount of clinker action, and they seemed to throw off pretty good heat as well. Ash content seemed about the same as any others I have used.

Hardwood, or softwood, I'm not sure what they are as it didn't say on the bag. They seemed to have a slight scent of pine, so I'm thinking they may be softwood pellets.

They are located about a half hour drive from my house, so I'm thinking that one of these days I'm going to drive there to see if I can get a good price if I can buy directly from them.

Sounds good. Let me know if they will offer to sell direct.

I talked to them today, and a ton was going for $175. Not too bad, but that is the same price that I can buy their pellets for at the local Ace hardware store that is only 2 miles from my house. I thought they might be cheaper, seeing as that I was buying directly from them. oh well.

They do not offer delivery, but they gave me the number of someone with a boom truck that would deliver for me if I was interested. They said the guy with the truck was pretty reasonable as far as a delivery charge.

I'm gonna wait a while to see if the hardware store puts the pellets on sale at all, if not I may end up gettting 3 or 4 tons some time later this summer for next year, as I thought they were pretty decent pellets.

Sounds good, thanks for checking.

I burned about two tons of Badgerland since the end of last year. I pick them up at the plant in bulk. I just started burning the third ton and I'm seeing corn mixed in. I mean there is actually whole kernels of corn. I always liked them, but with these there is a LOT more ash, and I have to clean my Harman Accentra insert twice a week. I'm going to call them. At $195/ton bulk there were always real nice pellets! Anyone else seeing this?

dbzlof said:
I burned about two tons of Badgerland since the end of last year. I pick them up at the plant in bulk. I just started burning the third ton and I'm seeing corn mixed in. I mean there is actually whole kernels of corn. I always liked them, but with these there is a LOT more ash, and I have to clean my Harman Accentra insert twice a week. I'm going to call them. At $195/ton bulk there were always real nice pellets! Anyone else seeing this?

I've burned over 3 tons, and they were pretty good for me.

Never saw any kernals though! That seems pretty strange.

Well, I went and got another ton today, and these look great. They seem like what I've gotten in the past, a darker, denser pellet. I just put them in the stove so I'll post results in a couple days.

After looking at the website, I need to ask a question about other brands of pellets. Badgerland uses ventilated bags with the pallet being covered by a waterproof cover. After opening the pallet the bags need to be kept indoors away from any moisture. Do any other brands use the ventilated bags that would allow moisture into the pellets?

smitty273 said:
After looking at the website, I need to ask a question about other brands of pellets. Badgerland uses ventilated bags with the pallet being covered by a waterproof cover. After opening the pallet the bags need to be kept indoors away from any moisture. Do any other brands use the ventilated bags that would allow moisture into the pellets?
yep the brand I use has ventilated bags, but I store indoors so moisture is not an issue.

No I'm not affiliated with them! If I was, I wouldn't have questioned the quality. They are close to me and I can buy them in bulk, which works a lot easier for me than bags, not to mention, I bought 2,425 pounds of pellets for $230 yesterday! As for the last ton of Badgerland I got with the corn, I got several different kinds of bagged pellets to mix in, and that worked very well. From the bagged pellets, I did see quite a difference in fines and also the pellet look from bag to bag, even among the same brand. For example, of 5 bags of Marth, one bag was a hard brown pellet with very little fines, and the next bag was really light and had a quarter cup of fines at the bottom of the bag. I bought those at Fleet Farm, and got them off the same pallet.

smitty273 said:
no pane, what brand do you use? was just wondering which companies use ventilated bags.

Every brand I've used have tiny holes punched in the bags... without them the bags would "balloon" from trapped air when stacked on the pallets. The bags on the bottom could burst from the bags stacked on top of them.

As long as they are covered there's no problem with them getting wet...

smitty273 said:
no pane, what brand do you use? was just wondering which companies use ventilated bags.
the brand I use is bagged by my dealer under the name Uncle Jed's

I cleaned out the stove yesterday and had a wonderful surprise...it was fairly clean! The ash was building in the pan, but nothing like the last batch of pellets. As for the stove it was clean. A little soot to scrape but at that rate I could have let it go another week for sure. I'm happy again with Badgerland.

It was cold over here across the pond, so I'm betting you folks had the freeze also. How did they hold up as far as heat production goes?

Status
Not open for further replies.