Baffle and baffle rails glow red on PE Super 27

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gdk84

Feb 23, 2011
New England
Hi all... New to this site, seems awesome! I just within the past month had a complete chimney and stove installed. The stove is a PE super 27 and the chimney is made by Excel and runs nearly straight up through the house about 18 feet in lenght. I have been noticing during operation that the stove baffle rail and part of the baffle itself is red on the right hand side. I never overfire the stove and this happens when my draft is nearly turned off. The stove top temp will read from 500-575F. Also, i noticed that the bottom of the baffle has a bow to it... it is not flat and concaves slightly toward the back. This is supposed to be a quality wood stove but the baffle design seems real cheap, very thin steel and stainless. I dont seem to be having any type of excessive draft or anything. Anyone else with this model notice this type of operation? Kind of makes me concerened. Thanks for any help!

Oh hi.

My PE summit baffle sounds exactly like yours. Doesn't seem to be an issue. Also I am trying figure out if it is glowing red vs reflecting red. I don't run mine as hot as I have read others are doing. Also the baffle has not changed shape from the "warped" look you mention, and I have been running the stove almost everyday since late Nov. I am guessing there must be some expansion and contraction going on thru the various heating/cooling cycles.

I like the stove and feel pretty confident about it.

hope that helps
Glen

The baffle in the PE stoves are some of the highest quality in the business. The "belly sag" is common and just happens and doesn't get worse or have an ill effect.

I've run the stove consistently hotter than that during cold periods and have never seen the baffle or side rails "glow" red. If this is consistently on one side, it would be a good idea to check the door gasket for tightness doing the dollar bill test.

My side rails and baffle glow red quite often, nothing serious. That's when it's getting it's cleanest burn.
:coolsmile:

Jimbob said:
My side rails and baffle glow red quite often, nothing serious. That's when it's getting it's cleanest burn.
:coolsmile:

The way you run that thing anything within a block glows. >:-(

Thanks for the replies guys! Good too know im not the only one with a red baffle!

gdk84 said:
Thanks for the replies guys! Good too know im not the only one with a red baffle!

You are not alone ;-)

oldspark said:
The only thing red on my summit is the color on the outside.

I bet if you look closely @ your baffle and side-rails at the tail end of the secondary burn (when there are a lot of coals), you'll see that they are glowing a bit.

Jimbob said:
oldspark said:
The only thing red on my summit is the color on the outside.

I bet if you look closely @ your baffle and side-rails at the tail end of the secondary burn (when there are a lot of coals), you'll see that they are glowing a bit.

I found this out for the first time a week or so ago. You would never really notice it unless you got down on your hands and knees while its going good and take a peek. Even with the primary almost nearly shut.

there is alot of 2ndry combustion happening when you shut it down initially... and that all happens from the baffle. My summit's baffle will glow red from time to time... I do take offense to the "cheap" comment about the baffle: that thing is 100x more rugged than most baffles out there... You wanna see cheap, check out a hearthstone baffle.

Mine, under serious full load secondary burn, the tubes will get red hot and glow, I doubt the baffle itself is glowing, I think it's just a reflection.. but either way, mine does it from time to time, doesn't seem to hurt a thing.

Mine also has that "bow" in the baffle, and I've had it red the odd time. If I might slightly stear this thread off topic, but how full do all of you load your PE stoves? It seems that if I load it up full, it gets hot to the point of making me nervous (700F stove top), or (600F pipe surface) even with the air choked back. The door gasket is good (did the paper test). I would figure the stove was meant to take a full load, but if a full load is too hot, then why is the firebox the size it is? Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks.

hemlock said:
Mine also has that "bow" in the baffle, and I've had it red the odd time. If I might slightly stear this thread off topic, but how full do all of you load your PE stoves? It seems that if I load it up full, it gets hot to the point of making me nervous (700F stove top), or (600F pipe surface) even with the air choked back. The door gasket is good (did the paper test). I would figure the stove was meant to take a full load, but if a full load is too hot, then why is the firebox the size it is? Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks.
Cant get mine to 700 because of chimney (I think) but if I fix it I do worry about the thing running away from me, right now I have total control over the stove temps, no top end over about 600 or so. Maybe a damper would keep yours in check.

That is not worth getting nervous about hemlock. I see those temps whenever the stove is fully fueled if the fan is not on. It will cruise at 700F for about an hour and then gradually taper down to 650F.

hemlock said:
How full do all of you load your PE stoves? It seems that if I load it up full, it gets hot to the point of making me nervous (700F stove top), or (600F pipe surface) even with the air choked back. Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks.

Don't be nervous, if you load it right up, it'll get hot, even on low. It isn't "running away", just burning with a lot of secondary combustion.
Here's a thread I started on a nicely loaded stove:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/70922/

That baffle is anything but a thin pc of stainless steel. Wait till you take it out to sweep the stack.
When you get the bow, go with the flow. It is fine.

Jimbob said:
hemlock said:
How full do all of you load your PE stoves? It seems that if I load it up full, it gets hot to the point of making me nervous (700F stove top), or (600F pipe surface) even with the air choked back. Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks.

Don't be nervous, if you load it right up, it'll get hot, even on low. It isn't "running away", just burning with a lot of secondary combustion.
Here's a thread I started on a nicely loaded stove:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/70922/

Read your thread. Wow. That is a full load. I've had my PE full before, but nothing like that. I guess I won't be so nervous of higher temps anymore. Good thread, by the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.