Baffle blanket

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

deborita3

Burning Hunk
Oct 25, 2018
New York
I have a quadra fire 3100i wood insert but don't have the owners owner's manual. I need a.new baffle blanket bit was wondering if I need a baffle board as well. There wasn't any when my husband took the blanket out. The blanket was sitting on this steel shelf in the pic. Any help would be appreciated.
IMG_20190826_142127649_HDR.jpg IMG_20190826_142201973_HDR.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a quadra fire 3100i wood insert but don't have the owners owner's manual. I need a.new baffle blanket bit was wondering if I need a baffle boarView attachment 246809 View attachment 246810 d as well. There wasn't any when my husband took the blanket out. The blanket was sitting on this steel shelf in the pic. Any help would be appreciated.

My husband cleaned the chimney. The white line in the pic is the level where the creosote is. Was wondering if this is considered alot. If I had to guess I would say there is about 1 1/2 cups.IMG_20190826_155019505_HDR.jpg

Was this insert purchased used? The 3100i normally has baffle boards. It looks like someone created a metal baffle to replace them. It probably will work ok as long as it fits well and is not warped or burned through. Definitely put a new blanket on top. Make sure it is lying flat and not bunched up toward the rear of the stove.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CJNE3QI/?tag=hearthamazon-20

That is not a lot of soot and 'sote. How much wood was burned last season?

Was this insert purchased used? The 3100i normally has baffle boards. It looks like someone created a metal baffle to replace them. It probably will work ok as long as it fits well and is not warped or burned through. Definitely put a new blanket on top. Make sure it is lying flat and not bunched up toward the rear of the stove.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CJNE3QI/?tag=hearthamazon-20

That is not a lot of soot and 'sote. How much wood was burned last season?

It was here when we purchased the house. I.found out that tje.pre act model had a steel baffle. This model was replaced by the millennium model.

We burned about 2 1|2 cords. We didn't run it 24/7 since we moved in the house last June and didn't have time to build up on wood like we have this year.

That explains it. I only have manuals going back to the 2008 ACT model. A cup and a half of stuff from cleaning is great for 2.5 cords of wood. Looks like you are burning cleanly with dry wood.

Reactions: deborita3
That explains it. I only have manuals going back to the 2008 ACT model. A cup and a half of stuff from cleaning is great for 2.5 cords of wood. Looks like you are burning cleanly with dry wood.

We started off with wet wood and ended with alot of dry wood. This is our pile so far plus the shed full with split wood. All is under 20% and free wood:)

Attachments

• 20190826_172600.jpg
    20190826_172600.jpg
    413.3 KB · Views: 185
Reactions: kennyp2339
The older quads use steel baffles like that. They are kind of a pain but they are durable. And a local welding shop can easily make replacements for a fraction of what quad gets for them.

And no that is not allot of accumulation at all.

The older quads use steel baffles like that. They are kind of a pain but they are durable. And a local welding shop can easily make replacements for a fraction of what quad gets for them.

And no that is not allot of accumulation at all.

Thanks for your response. My husband is trying to get the baffle back in the stove but it barely clears the door. Baffle is 17inches long and door is 17 3/4. Any way way to remove and get it back in?20190902_164447.jpg

Thanks for your response. My husband is trying to get the baffle back in the stove but it barely clears the door. Baffle is 17inches long and door is 17 3/4. Any way way to remove and get it back in?View attachment 247111
It is just a pain in the butt

You got it- the original steel baffle quads went in sideways, then turned 90 degrees. It should have a hook that the hole lines up with. Those steel baffles were 3/8" thick, very durable before the ceramic boards. Be careful putting the blanket back on top, try not to bunch it up...

You got it- the original steel baffle quads went in sideways, then turned 90 degrees. It should have a hook that the hole lines up with. Those steel baffles were 3/8" thick, very durable before the ceramic boards. Be careful putting the blanket back on top, try not to bunch it up...

Thank you very much!