Baffle Firebricks ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

11 Bravo

I was replacing the firebricks in my stove which is a Century by Jacquzzi model#1500. It came with the house and was installed in early '01. This model appears to be discontinued, but several similar ones by Century are still sold at Menards. I located a manual here : http://www.myownbbq.com/content/productsupport/manuals2.cfm?filterid=35 .......The manual calls for 2 "baffle bricks" to installed. What are these for ? Just curious...

The baffle above the secondary burn tubes? It redirect smoke across the tube so that you can get secondary burn action. Without the baffle in place the stove will burn hot and less efficient.

I used to have a stove very much like that one. The baffle bricks are to keep the heat and smoke from going straight up the chimmney. Running without them would cause the stove to run more like a non-EPA one.
I'm not sure why they went with the removable bricks, maybe to allow access to the area above the baffle for cleaning.

On the 1500 the two bricks sit on top of the steel baffle for insulation to hold heat in the stove for optimum combustion. Thankfully on that stove they are the two buck apiece standard 9 x 4-7/16 x 1-1/14 firebricks. The later Centuries use a ceramic blanket packed in the center of the baffle.

But the stove has a secondary air manifold that runs from the bottom of the back of the stove up to baffle and if I remember correctly it certified at something like 4.4 GPH of emissions in EPA testing.

Status
Not open for further replies.