Baffle insulation missing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Sep 27, 2012
New York
Hi All, Happy New Year! I have a Pacific Energy Vista insert that’s about 12 years old. The baffle has always been very difficult to get in and out. Last night when adding the final log, I must have pushed up against the baffle and noticed it was no longer level, slightly sagging on one side. After the stove cooled down today I started looking into it and noticed that the rail set that supports the baffle on the left side of the firebox is loose. I can push it out of place and the baffle will no longer be resting on one side of the stove. The reason for this is that the insulation that should be behind the rail set is missing on that side and it would ordinarily prevent this from moving around. I suspect that the people who cleaned my stove removed it to make it easier to take the baffle in and out. Unfortunately they never replaced it – I’m also missing the insulation & gasket that’s supposed to be above the baffle. I contacted PE and got the insulation set part number – they didn’t seem too concerned. It sounds like the biggest issue is heat escaping. My question to the forum is – do you think I can continue running without the insulation?? I’ll need to be careful not to push up against the baffle and rail set, but wondering if there are other issues I'm not considering. I’ve been doing it for a few months already and it’s probably going to take some time to get this shipped. Any thoughts ?? Thank you