Q&A Baffle is Warped

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I notice that the baffle plate in my airtight stove is getting pretty warped. Is it possible to just bend it back into shape, or will I have to obtain a new one? Is this a normal thing with an airtight stove, or am I doing something wrong?

Answer:

Depending on the age and type of the stove, it could be a normal situation. Since the metal is most likely fatigued, it is doubtful that you could easily bend it back into shape (and have it stay that way!). Best bet is to get the replacement part from the manufacturer if they are still in business. Even if they are gone, there are some businesses that specialize in parts for older stoves.

In many cases, a warped baffle may not affect the stove negatively until it warps far enough to take up room in the firebox, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.