Baffle plates & VHT flameproof paint...?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stayfitz

Feeling the Heat
Sep 28, 2012
Reno, NV
I sanded (progression of fine to super fine sandpaper), "stripped" (acetone), and repainted (VHT 2000* flameproof) my QuadraFire CB1200i heat exchanger baffle plates a couple of weeks ago. I thought they looked great! Until my first fire when 50% of the paint peeled off around the feed chute! Any suggestions? I have conventional 1200* stove paint as well... Should I use it? Thanks!

Wish I had the answer, but to take a stab, some of the high temp paints cannot take exposure to flames and maybe this is it. Sounds counter-intuitive but I considered the Rustoleum Products, high heat exposure to 1200 F, but the instructions don't recommend direct exposure to flame. The chute would see the biggest percentage of flame.
Also, you need to do a burn off, heating the stove to a constant temp for a certain amount of time. What did your directions say on the paint can?

Wish I had the answer, but to take a stab, some of the high temp paints cannot take exposure to flames and maybe this is it. Sounds counter-intuitive but I considered the Rustoleum Products, high heat exposure to 1200 F, but the instructions don't recommend direct exposure to flame. The chute would see the biggest percentage of flame.
Also, you need to do a burn off, heating the stove to a constant temp for a certain amount of time. What did your directions say on the paint can?

Unfortunately, I traveling for business at the moment. So, I don't have access to the paint cans. I suspect you're correct regarding direct flame exposure

Painting the baffle is an exercise in futility... unless you get it coated with a high temp ceramic coating as used on race car pistons and exhaust headers you will never get any paint to hold up...

Painting the baffle is an exercise in futility... unless you get it coated with a high temp ceramic coating as used on race car pistons and exhaust headers you will never get any paint to hold up...

It appears so...

I thought I was doing the right thing by purchasing "header" paint rated to 2000 degrees. Right now the baffle plates look ridiculous! I'll take them out and clean them up a bit when not using the stove

Status
Not open for further replies.