Bailey's f/s & New Chain

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

toonces

Nov 7, 2011
Farmington Valley, CT
i just got an email with a Bailey's f/s code that lasts through 4/11/12 so i browsed chains and, well, i have no idea what i'm looking at. i don't need a new chain as i've hardly used the one on my Husq 435, but i'm about to dive into a giant score from some new construction down the street and i'm thinking the stock chain might be outgunned on this one. i believe it's the H30 Pixel .325" chain on a 16" bar.

if this score comes through, i would be cutting through manageable logs of maple and oak mostly, i think. there is much much larger stuff but they might send that off to be milled. if not, my neighbor can tackle it with his 22"er. i'm no expert, so i can't say how many cords i'd be going after here. 'a lot', and 'a whole bunch' come to mind, though.

any suggestions for a chain for the job i'm describing? thanks for all the help!

the f/s code is FSMAR if anyone is interested.

Reactions: ScotO
Sharp one

Well I was going to suggest Stihl RMC/RSC chain but it appears Baileys doesn't offer Stihl chain anymore?

Toonces, if they don't have Stihl Oilomatic chain, the Oregon or Windsor full chisel chain is the way to go. Not sure of the numbers right off.

.325 full chisel chain in the correct gauge & DL # would be my suggestion as well. Picco & low pro chain is way slow. Also get "non safety" chain. A C

hmmm, i'll have to check again in the morning, but i'm pretty sure i have a narrow kerf chain/bar so i'm limited to the safety chains of the same type. unless full chisel chains are called something else in the NK world. my bar/chain combo options look to be the same on Bailey's too. i'll keep looking... thanks for the info.

hmmm, i'll have to check again in the morning, but i'm pretty sure i have a narrow kerf chain/bar so i'm limited to the safety chains of the same type. unless full chisel chains are called something else in the NK world. my bar/chain combo options look to be the same on Bailey's too. i'll keep looking... thanks for the info.

You can run standard kerf chains on NK bars. You just can't do the opposite (NK chain on standard kerf bars).

Since I like Stihl chains, I use standard kerf .325 pitch Stihl RSC chain on my NK .325 pitch Husqvarna bar. It seems more aggressive than the NK low kickback (safety) chain that came with the saw (Husqvarna H30/Oregon 95VP).

Reactions: toonces
You can run standard kerf chains on NK bars. You just can't do the opposite (NK chain on standard kerf bars).

Since I like Stihl chains, I use standard kerf .325 pitch Stihl RSC chain on my NK .325 pitch Husqvarna bar. It seems more aggressive than the NK low kickback (safety) chain that came with the saw (Husqvarna H30/Oregon 95VP).
that's excellent info to know. thanks!

ordered an Oregon 20LPX-66 to match my bar. i take it my Husky Pixel filing kit won't work on this. any recommendations for a good sharpening kit? thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.