Bailey's Has Fiskars SS for $39.95

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nonprophet

Minister of Fire
Jan 27, 2009
Oregon
Got my catalogue in the mail today, then checked the website. What Bailey's is selling amounts to just three of the Fiskars products...not even close to "the full line". I'm not saying that the price isn't right on the Super Splitter, it is good. What I'm saying is that it all depends on your needs. I own pretty much "the full line" (minus a couple) of the Fiskars tools, and what I've found that, as a softwood burner, the two I use the most are the 7859 28" Pro Splitting Axe (the lighter one - 2¼#), and the 7856 17" splitting axe. Neither of these tools is apparently available through Bailey's. The heavier Super Splitter is a hell of a good tool, especially if you're working wood tougher than mine. The Chopping Axe is great, if you need to do a lot of chopping (I don't). The cute little 14" hatchet is convenient for lopping off twigs and sometimes cutting stringers out during splitting, but really little else. I use it mostly to walk along and make a mark with my measuring stick before bucking. Truly, I'd pass on the little 14" hatchet, and go for the 17" wherever you can find it, unless you just need a little light duty tool for canoe camping or whatever. Rick

http://www.fiskars.com/webapp/wcs/s...1&langId;=-1&catalogId=10101&categoryId=10277

Attachments

• fiskars.jpg
    fiskars.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 778
fossil said:
Got my catalogue in the mail today, then checked the website. What Bailey's is selling amounts to just three of the Fiskars products...not even close to "the full line". I'm not saying that the price isn't right on the Super Splitter, it is good. What I'm saying is that it all depends on your needs. I own pretty much "the full line" (minus a couple) of the Fiskars tools, and what I've found that, as a softwood burner, the two I use the most are the 7859 28" Pro Splitting Axe (the lighter one - 2¼#), and the 7856 17" splitting axe. Neither of these tools is apparently available through Bailey's.

Yeah, when I placed an order last week for a new b&c, I asked the guy at Baileys if they were ever going to carry Fiskars. He told me, "yes, we just started carrying their full axe lineup." But I agree with you, neither the new catalogue nor the web site list all the models yet, so maybe they're waiting for inventory??

I tried the Pro Splitting Axe, and I thought it was too light for the hardwoods I try to get here West of the Cascades. For where you are, I'd guess the 2 1/4 lb one would do quite nicely.

The heavier Super Splitter is a hell of a good tool, especially if you're working wood tougher than mine. The Chopping Axe is great, if you need to do a lot of chopping (I don't). The cute little 14" hatchet is convenient for lopping off twigs and sometimes cutting stringers out during splitting, but really little else. Truly, I'd pass on the little 14" hatchet, and go for the 17" wherever you can find it, unless you just need a little light duty tool for canoe camping or whatever.

Rick

Well, I have to disagree with you there--I love my little 14" sport hatchet! I use it primarily for splitting kindling up for the woodstove and/or while camping, but I've also used it to chop up some smaller stuff. I like the smaller, more compact size myself and wouldn't want the extra 3" of the 17" model. I guess that's one great thing about the Fiskar's lineup, there's something for everyone's needs!

NP

Nonprophet said:
Just an FYI, Bailey's is now selling the complete line of Fiskars axes including the Super Splitter. $39.95 is the lowest price I've seen yet: http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=78546984

NP

Bailey's either had a great run on these or they only had two in stock. Clicking on the above link reveals the splitter is already out of stock and an order will be placed on backorder.

The price is good at 39.95, but that does not include shipping, which to and for me, is a big deal. I live basically in Outer Mongolia in relation to shipping; both for logistics and extra cost.

I bought my Super Splitter from Amazon.com a couple of months ago for 47.95, shipping included. The paltry extra $8, a much better deal for me. By the way I just checked......they are in stock and ready to go.

However you choose to get one, just get it. Once you use it words like "amazing" and "incredible" will be on your tongue. It really is. I like mine so much I am pondering ordering another just in case they quit making them before I wear out the one I have. I really would not want anything else. Actually, I already own everything else, and they now just take up space in my garage.

I have been checking into these appearently marvelous tools. Me thinks one is in me near future!

Nonprophet said:
fossil said:
Got my catalogue in the mail today, then checked the website. What Bailey's is selling amounts to just three of the Fiskars products...not even close to "the full line". I'm not saying that the price isn't right on the Super Splitter, it is good. What I'm saying is that it all depends on your needs. I own pretty much "the full line" (minus a couple) of the Fiskars tools, and what I've found that, as a softwood burner, the two I use the most are the 7859 28" Pro Splitting Axe (the lighter one - 2¼#), and the 7856 17" splitting axe. Neither of these tools is apparently available through Bailey's.

Yeah, when I placed an order last week for a new b&c, I asked the guy at Baileys if they were ever going to carry Fiskars. He told me, "yes, we just started carrying their full axe lineup." But I agree with you, neither the new catalogue nor the web site list all the models yet, so maybe they're waiting for inventory??

I tried the Pro Splitting Axe, and I thought it was too light for the hardwoods I try to get here West of the Cascades. For where you are, I'd guess the 2 1/4 lb one would do quite nicely.

The heavier Super Splitter is a hell of a good tool, especially if you're working wood tougher than mine. The Chopping Axe is great, if you need to do a lot of chopping (I don't). The cute little 14" hatchet is convenient for lopping off twigs and sometimes cutting stringers out during splitting, but really little else. Truly, I'd pass on the little 14" hatchet, and go for the 17" wherever you can find it, unless you just need a little light duty tool for canoe camping or whatever.

Rick

Well, I have to disagree with you there--I love my little 14" sport hatchet! I use it primarily for splitting kindling up for the woodstove and/or while camping, but I've also used it to chop up some smaller stuff. I like the smaller, more compact size myself and wouldn't want the extra 3" of the 17" model. I guess that's one great thing about the Fiskar's lineup, there's something for everyone's needs!

NP

Like what? I haven't tried Madrona or Yew yet but it knocks the crap out of everything else we grow over here.

I have a couple of cords of Oak, Madrone, and Yew that came from west of the Cascades. It was split and seasoned when I got it, but a good deal of it needed to be re-split for my stoves. For the most part, my lighter Fiskars has handled that nicely. There have been a few pieces where I've brought out the big gun, though. Rick

Man, I hate that. I over paid. I also went with amazon at 47. I now see the ebay listing for D&K's. Could have saved 5 big ones!

Mine was $31.95 and a week later they are up about $3. K&D's is an Ace Hardware that sells on ebay. Tried the splitter on fresh oak last night - wow! Impressive. (compared to my old 6 lb. maul)

My super is in the mail, K&D's, 34.95 plus the 8.95 for shipping. None of my local stores carry Fiskars axes?? Not even the biggest most popular ones.

Sears has the 14" Fiskars hatchet for $23, bought online with in-store pickup. I just picked one up. Nice little tool.

Nonprophet said:
Just an FYI, Bailey's is now selling the complete line of Fiskars axes including the Super Splitter. $39.95 is the lowest price I've seen yet: http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=78546984

NP

We are sorry but the FISKARS SUPER SPLITTING AXE 28" is currently out of stock and will be placed on backorder. If you do not want this item to be backordered please delete it from your cart.

I Made Fire! said:
Just took delivery of a new Super Splitter from Denny and Kathys on ebay. $31.99 plus $8.95 shipping.

Me too!

mhvond, did you try it yet? I just spent another hour on some large oak rounds and it's a great tool. Nice easy swings and it blows through.

I have a true temper wood cutting maul # 70023 and wonder how it measures up to the Fiskars? Mine measures 33.5 inches and not sure of the weight. Don't want to spend more money if they are the same expect the length.

Thanks
Shipper

precaud said:
Shipper, I have a TT 70010 that I'm quite happy with and it's probably identical to your 70023. It's 33.5" long and has a 4 lb. head. At 6'5" I wouldn't want anything shorter. It looks just like this one on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Ames-True-Temper-1190400-Splitter-Maul/dp/B000EM2SJ0
Thanks for the reply, it looks like we have the same True Temper with a small # difference. I am not quit as tall at 6'1 and the length is good for me. Just didn't want to buy something similar if I could help it.

Shipper

I Made Fire! said:
mhvond, did you try it yet? I just spent another hour on some large oak rounds and it's a great tool. Nice easy swings and it blows through.

Best manual log splitter I have ever used.

mhvond said:
I Made Fire! said:
Just took delivery of a new Super Splitter from Denny and Kathys on ebay. $31.99 plus $8.95 shipping.

Me too!

I ordered mine today from Denny and Kathy's via Amazon. I cannot wait to get it. I have some nice big White Ash rounds that are patiently waiting.

Status
Not open for further replies.