Baked potato in the wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mulkick

Oct 8, 2008
north IL
This time of year is a great time to bake potatoes in the stove.
I tend to make a fire in the morning and let it die out as it warms up a bit outside.
Wrap the taters in foil and throw them in on the side, off the coals, when the stove is cooled to 400*.
Hour 20 later you've got lunch or dinner.
Anyone else do this or other cooking tricks with the wood stove?

Once burned twice shy said:
Anyone else do this or other cooking tricks with the wood stove?
It's not a cooking trick, but more of a stove use. and it's not a suggestion, but a question, lol. Has anyone used those old irons that you see everywhere at antique stores. They have the base, and a handle that clips onto it ( http://www.shirbil.com/set_three.html ) That set shown on the link is a Mrs. Potts brand and looks just like my set!

Has anybody used these with trivets? How do you get them to a proper temp? How do you verify temp? (i think a 500degree iron might be too hot!). How awesome would that be to just have an iron ready to go at any time? The only reason I don't iron my shirts every day is because it involves digging out the iron, plugging it in, letting it warm up, etc. Well with these I could mount my antique cabinet ironing board somewhere close by and drop it down and go!

Never tried that one, but with all the energy the stoves put out you'd think there would be more uses.

Is that you cooking? Get any ash on the pie? What temp and how long?

I tried the potato thing last year and the stove was too hot. After about an hour I took them out and the potatoes were charred black to the core. I have not tried it again but do plan to.

I bake potato's on the front of the stove takes like 2hrs I go to the gym and when I come home there done .. I love not having to turn my oven on to bake 2 potato's . I warn soup and stew and other food on top and pizza stays crispy ....Good times ..

I've made hamburger helper on top of the stove in a cast iron skillet. That was the best HH I've ever had.

Watch out for the burnt potatoes as I hear they cause more creosote than pine!! ;)

It's not the potato, it's the sour cream. %-P

Even better that attaching it to your cars exhaust manifold. It is in the house when you are ready to eat it.

Corn too!

Summertime said:
Watch out for the burnt potatoes as I hear they cause more creosote than pine!! ;)

Does it matter how long you seasoned the potato? What is the correct seasoning time for a potato or does it depend on the type like the red taking up to 2 years to season :)

There hasn't been a potato in our stove since that first microwave oven came through our door. Those things are baked potato heaven.

BrotherBart said:
There hasn't been a potato in our stove since that first microwave oven came through our door. Those things are baked potato heaven.

Ewwww, MW'd baked spuds :long: That's not baked, it's steamed :wow:

You cannot get that crispy skin in a MW, not like in an oven
gaah.gif

The secret to good baked taters is to rub them with olive oil and sprinkle with kosher salt before you cook them. I wrap them in foil and lay them on top of the soapstone stove. Turn them over once in a while until done.

We like baking spuds in the FP during our (brief) chilly season. Gotta wrap 'em good to keep the ashes out.

Peace,
- Sequoia

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
BrotherBart said:

Ewwww, MW'd baked spuds :long: That's not baked, it's steamed :wow:

You cannot get that crispy skin in a MW, not like in an oven
gaah.gif

MWing a potato is only good for making mashed. A baked NEEDS to have a crunchy skin to hold the sour cream (w/ scallions)
in.

Just my .002 (Inflation adjusted)

Once burned twice shy said:
Is that you cooking? Get any ash on the pie? What temp and how long?

No ash. Fire was burned down to coals. I just placed the pizza stone on the coals and let it preheat. Im not sure what the temp was but I guess the temp in the firebox had to be in the 400 500 range. I just powdered the stone with corn meal so the pie would not stick then slide the pie onto the stone. I make my crust thin so it cooks fast about 5-10 minutes. When the edges of the crust were starting to brown and the cheese was melted, Its done! oh yeah that wooden pizza thingy is a must to slide the pie onto the stone.

I have made pizza in an oven but this was my first shot at the wood stove! I think I got lucky because it came out really good. I had two hungry kids and a wife that would have been a little pissed if I ruined the pie.

We have the 602 in the kitchen. It gets used for warming soup, tea water and entries. The stove is about five feet from the kitchen table great for keeping things warm as long as I don't have it cranked.

can't remember where i read it, but potato skins are suppose to aid in cleaning the chimney.
don't know how or if it works just read it somewhere.

wasent it wet potatoe skins wrapped in newspaper to put out a runaway fire?

We split the potatoe the length about 3/4 of the way down..not all the way to the bottom. Then a couple of small pats of butter, and
then some slices of Vidalia onion in the cut, a sprinkle of pepper, and then do a double wrap of foil. UMMM UMMM Good!

You all are making me hungry its 630 am and I want a pizza and bake potato

woodracerx said:
You all are making me hungry its 630 am and I want a pizza and brake potato

Me, too. I'm sitting here wondering if the coals left from last night are enough to bake anything with. LOL! Baked potatoes! It's what's for breakfast! :)

Poult

Status
Not open for further replies.