Baker coal stoves - anyone heard of them?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joshuaviktor

Dec 19, 2005
Northwest New Jersey
I know its not a wood question, but I just saw a baker coal stove insert on ebay, and fell in love. I think the industrial styling, the obvious nice quality, and the large btu output, look real nice, and they seem to be well built.

baker stove company link

I will probably ask on nepadigital (when I can remember my password), but has anyone here seen them or worked with them before?

BTW, I have 2 6 inch SS 316ti liner kits being delivered here monday. CAN'T WAIT!!!. Next weekend, I get to go on my roof and lower those suckers down a chimney. One will go to a fireplace (not sure what I will put in it yet. ) One will go to the basement, and be the chimney for my Coal Baron stove. I will probably be stoking it with wood, and seeing what kind of BTU's I get. With the blower, I hope to funnel enough hot air up the basement stairs to make it worthwhile. If it REALLY works, I will not put anything in the fireplace until I can save up and buy an insert. <hmm> Those englander inserts are pretty nice, and pretty cheap.

One of those, and one baker coal insert for the other fireplace, and a new chimney for my oil burner, with a 2nd flue for the basement wood/coal burner, and I am good forever. oil, wood, coal, Diversify the fuel, buy whatever is cheap. I may get a corn insert eventually, but the rust problems I hear about on the cornfuel yahoo list are making me nervous.

Sorry, lots of tangents, but it's been a while.

Good to be back.

Joshua

I don't think the stove and company in the link are the same animal. Stove on eBay says, Belleville, Ill. in casting on door. Art Baker Stoves is located in Pennsylvania.

Baker stoves are stiil good, sturdy made stoves. My dad used one for the longest time, burning wood, then mostly nut coal. He only got rid of it to go to a slightly more automated harman magnum stoker. He never had any problems with it, warpage, etc. They are still kind of a mom and pop place but make a good stove. They are made about 10 miles from where I live. Nothing fancy, no big websites but good stoves. Lots of people around here, (PA), have either heard of them of know someone who had/has one.

Elk, the VC you gave me alead on is in the garage. Broken off leg, have to have it welded. Then I have to decide where to put it. The red did not sit well with the wife, nor the fact that due to the size of the fireplace, it would have to sit on a hearth pad outside the fireplace. Ah well. I may fix it and sell it. NEeds a new cat, and the leg, but otherwise its in damn near Perfect shape. Nicely made stove, I tell you.

joshuaviktor said:
Elk, the VC you gave me alead on is in the garage. Broken off leg, have to have it welded. Then I have to decide where to put it. The red did not sit well with the wife, nor the fact that due to the size of the fireplace, it would have to sit on a hearth pad outside the fireplace. Ah well. I may fix it and sell it. NEeds a new cat, and the leg, but otherwise its in damn near Perfect shape. Nicely made stove, I tell you.

The neighborhood has to be referring to you as that "Nawlins Guy With All The Stoves" by now.

When you fire off this winter the smoke will be visable to the Space Station.

When will the woodstove etouffee be ready? I am mudbug hungry big time.

Status
Not open for further replies.