Baker Stove temperature drop

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Burning high with the air fully open is not safe if you don’t have the chimney cleaned up first.
I will be looking into a sweep. I cleaned out the stove piping. I am guessing that I can purchase the cleaning needs for the chimney and do it myself?

For the first time, call a professional and explain that wood burning is new to you with that stove and you want to make sure that it is safe to use. Ask him a lot of questions. Once everything is 100% cleaned and clarified you can do whatever you want including cleaning the pipe and inspecting it yourself if you are confortable. Safety first is really central to using wood stoves.

Reactions: Tar12
For the first time, call a professional and explain that wood burning is new to you with that stove and you want to make sure that it is safe to use. Ask him a lot of questions. Once everything is 100% cleaned and clarified you can do whatever you want including cleaning the pipe and inspecting it yourself if you are confortable. Safety first is really central to using wood stoves.
Perfect. Thank you for this info.

Reactions: coutufr
The nice thing with there being no insulation in the floors is that the heat radiate sup through the floors to keep the upstairs about 70 or higher.
Yes, you don't want insulation in the basement ceiling, but on the walls it makes a huge difference in conserving heat and reducing wood consumption. Without it, figure one cord in three burned will be used up to heat outdoors and not the house.