Balancing valve

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony H

Minister of Fire
Oct 24, 2007
N Illinois
I have done the plumbing according to the "only boiler" plumbing layout in the current EKO manual and then while looking at some other diagrams including the ones on Tarms web site noticed that many of them include a "balancing " valve in the line bringing water from the feed side of the boiler to the termover mixing valve.
What are the problems if any I could have as a result of not having this balancing valve installed?

Thanks
Tony

Not being able to control the amount of flow through the termovar. I keep my balancing valve almost all the way closed. I think part of the issue is that the circ is on the return line pulling water through both sides of the termovar and the balancing valve helps control the flow between the two loops. I would be interested in knowing how open/closed others are keeping their balancing valves.

Throttling the balancing valve has an effect on circulating pressure. I'm confused about this too!

Status
Not open for further replies.