Ball hitch for my garden tractor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skier76

Minister of Fire
Apr 14, 2009
CT and SoVT
I've got an older (1986 I beleive) Snapper LT16 garden tractor. It's got a twin cyl 16 hp Briggs, high/low axle; it's quite a tank.

It's set up to tow your standard garden tractor trailer that hooks up with a hitch pin. I'd like to find a 1 7/8 ball to I can move my 4x8 trailer out from the back part of the yard. Does anyone know if someone makes a ball that has a really narrow shank to fit in the hole that the hitch pin now occupies?

Skier76 said:
I've got an older (1986 I beleive) Snapper LT16 garden tractor. It's got a twin cyl 16 hp Briggs, high/low axle; it's quite a tank.

It's set up to tow your standard garden tractor trailer that hooks up with a hitch pin. I'd like to find a 1 7/8 ball to I can move my 4x8 trailer out from the back part of the yard. Does anyone know if someone makes a ball that has a really narrow shank to fit in the hole that the hitch pin now occupies?

Skier would this work, http://www.butchhitch.com/products.html

Zap

Usually the hitch plate for a clevis hitch is too weak for a ball. That and they are generally too low. I looked at the average height of ball hitches and the height at which my splitter would sit level and had my neighbor weld me up a ball hitch that still left the clevis hitch free for other implements.

100_0264.jpg

100_0340.jpg

zap, there may be something there!

I'll try and get a pic of the mount this weekend. I just want to use it to pull my empty 4x8 trailer in and out of the yard. I used to do that with my quad, but that's no longer stored in CT. Pulling that trailer myself is a friggin you know what.

I copied LL's idea and had my bro make up a few. Has worked like a champ.

Attachments

• Copy of DSC01223.jpg
    Copy of DSC01223.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 2,278
Skier76 said:

This may be what You are looking for . It's a 1 7/8" ball with a 5/8" shank .
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_31835_31835

Finding a ball with a shank that will fit the hole is easy. I have had one for years. The big problem is the down force on that piece of metal with the hole in it. Sucker bends.

I have wanted a hitch like LL has forever but just don't have the welder or knowhow to use one.

BrotherBart said:
Finding a ball with a shank that will fit the hole is easy. I have had one for years. The big problem is the down force on that piece of metal with the hole in it. Sucker bends.

I have wanted a hitch like LL has forever but just don't have the welder or knowhow to use one.
Kenny can hook you up!

I don't have a welder but nuts and bolts are readily available.

Attachments

• Photo045.jpg
    Photo045.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 2,574
Flatbedford said:
I saw this on Ebay...
A good candidate for tinyurl.

Not a very good design IMHO. It not only renders the clevis hitch useless but will also easily bend it.

LLigetfa said:
Flatbedford said:
I saw this on Ebay...
A good candidate for tinyurl.

Not a very good design IMHO. It not only renders the clevis hitch useless but will also easily bend it.

It does put the load pretty far out increasing leverage. I like yours, I just have to figure out how adapt it to my Cub Cadet.

They sell a couple different models at Lowes / Home depot /menards , not as nice as the above hand built models but might work.
Another option is just to get a large piece of angle bracket and bolt it to the rear of the tractor much like the hand made models except let it extend a few inches out from the rear pin tab enough to drill 2 holes one for the ball and an inch out for the rear pin.

Thanks guys! The one from Northern looks like it'll work. Also, the one from E-Bay as well.

I'm just going to use this to haul my empty 4x8" trailer in and out of the yard, so hopefully, I won't have an issue with bending or anything like that.

Here's something I saw on the Lowe's website. Not sure if it would work; I'd have to see it up close: http://www.lowes.com/pd_317694-6085...d;=-1&storeId=10151&ddkey=http:ProductDisplay

Don't know if this would work for you but I made a mount that goes on my snowblower bracket for the front with an 1-7/8" ball. I can move my woodsplitter by hooking it to the front of the tractor and left the pin hitch hole in the back free for other uses.

Thanks,

Paul

Holy crap LL - other than mounting position (the back end of an Allis Chalmers was designed for equipment)- your contraption looks IDENTICAL to mine (I built it about 12 years ago).

It arrived yesterday! Of course, the mounting hole on my tractor is just a hair too small? How small is too small? The shank is 5/8"....the hold on the tractor is big enough for a 1/2" drill bit to fit with just a little wiggle room. So I'm only off by a bit. I'm going to get a 5/8" drill bit and see what I can do. The metal is fairly thick and I'm dealing with a hand drill.

What's interesting is the way this hole is formed. It's not a straight through/drilled out hole. It almost looks like it was stamped. The under side of the plate where the hole is looks slighly tapered....almost like some material was purposely left behind.

Skier76 said:
It almost looks like it was stamped. The under side of the plate where the hole is looks slighly tapered....almost like some material was purposely left behind.

With the lawn tractor types with the stamped frame (think car fender stamping), it is pretty common for ALL holes to be stamp. The mfg process is much faster than trying to drill the hole. Get your drill going, but use light pressure. It will more than likely try to "grab" on you, so hold that drill like you mean it. Try and keep it as straight with the original hole as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.