Ball Mount and Pin with Clip

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
When we went for a ride on the rhino last night we went up some steep hills and the ball mount came off, attached are some pictures of the ball mount and what I used to hold it on. First time this has happened.

Any better ideas for the pin and clip, I take it off and on so I really don't want something that locks on for the pin if I can stay away from it.

zap

Attachments

• ball mount.jpg
    ball mount.jpg
    1.9 KB · Views: 214
  • pin and clip.jpg
    pin and clip.jpg
    1.8 KB · Views: 219
Zap, I found one that is kinda a "quick release" deal. I'll look for pictures online in a second, but it's not gonna be as heavy duty as yours is. I towed 4000-5000lbs with it, but I wouldn't trust the pin with much more than that. should be fine for any ATV.

the way it works is that there is a slider at the end of the pin, you rotate the slider to be in line with the pin, then put the pin through the hitch, then rotate the "slider" to be perpendicular to the pin and it clicks into place. I know my description really sucks and I can't remember where I bought it, but hopefully it helps. let me go google on it some...

the one on the right looks very similar to mine, the on on the left looks like something you might be able to find that would work better.

Attachments

• WL2600.jpg
    WL2600.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 218
  • digimarc.jpg
    digimarc.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 212
That style clip and pin seems to get pulled off easier out in the woods because brush and sticks etc can grab it. I just lost a clip a couple weeks ago but fortunately the pin, ball mount, and trailer stayed on. I think the slide over deal is the main problem. The ones with the same clip but a hole drilled through the pin seem to work better for me. They will bend over from time to time but at least stay on.

Danno77 thanks, I like the one on the right so I'll call True Value and some other stores and see what they have.

zap

zap, that's the one I have. Guess I don't remember it being Reese.

Danno77 said:
zap, that's the one I have. Guess I don't remember it being Reese.

Danno77 I just called NAPA and they have one that I'll pickup tonight, thanks. All I have to do is find our ball mount in the woods then things will be fine.

zap

I have one of those type pins
never did like the way it worked
keep it around for a back up

Status
Not open for further replies.