ball valve for oak?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mscj

Feb 1, 2009
Plainview, TX
What are you guys using ball valve wise for outside air feed? PVC, brass, other? The pvc valves I've see so far are very hard to turn--like twist it off the back of the stove hard.....thanks!

I don't have one at all Just a screen over the hole .

My OAK doesn't have a ball valve, but that sounds like a great idea. I was thinking about next summer and how to close it off for the season.

no valve here...never seen one on an oak.

There is someone selling a gate valve on ebay.It is brass and expensive. Most stoves already have a valve its called the damper. Don't know why you would need a ball or gate valve.

smalltown said:
My OAK doesn't have a ball valve, but that sounds like a great idea. I was thinking about next summer and how to close it off for the season.

I just used some of the foil tape that I used to seal the Duravent pipe coming out of the pellet stove and sealed the OAK and the vent cap too--- It goes on easy and comes off easier! It keeps the insects and drafts out in the off season.

Jay my Castile doesn't have a damper (as far as I know) I was just thinking about the summer and wanting to close off this vent to the outside. I was also thinking about a magnetic piece something like they han out for small calanders etc. and seeing if it would stick to my outside vent on the ouside of the house. not sure if that is aluminum or not.

smalltown said:
Jay my Castile doesn't have a damper (as far as I know) I was just thinking about the summer and wanting to close off this vent to the outside. I was also thinking about a magnetic piece something like they han out for small calanders etc. and seeing if it would stick to my outside vent on the ouside of the house. not sure if that is aluminum or not.

I disconnected my OAK and stuffed foam in it. Anything could be used as long as you remember to remove it come fall. I also cover the vent cap with a plastic bag.

Jay do you just tape the plastic bag onto the exhaust? Any problems if you do after it bakes in the hot sun. Ah yes I remember the hot sun oh so many days ago!

smalltown said:
Jay do you just tape the plastic bag onto the exhaust? Any problems if you do after it bakes in the hot sun. Ah yes I remember the hot sun oh so many days ago!

I could use some hot sun soon! I just tie a few knots(corner to corner) to keep it from blowing off. I though about duct tape though.

CanadaClinker said:
........ days are officially getting longer....... won't be long that the sun will be bakin us again........ cc :cheese:

There's an optimist...

Jay, my Baby has a spring loaded butterfly valve. Very simple and cheap. I know we have slide valves at work for various airflow controls, but I don't know if they make them that small....

Chan

Status
Not open for further replies.