Balmy in the stairwell

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cac4

Jul 11, 2008
Essex County, MA
Since running the new stove for the past week, I've been observing how the heat gets distributed on its own. I've been watching all the "moving heat around" threads, but I've found, so far, that the heat seems to move around my house pretty well all by itself. (which I expected, due to the house's size and shape, and open floor plan). Without any fans, I can feel the convective currents that have set up on their own, and I can "see" them if I hold a candle in various places. The upstairs bedrooms show warm air flowing into the rooms near the tops of the doorways, and cold air flowing out at the bottom. An interesting observation is that my bedroom seems to warm up overnight, when the house is "still"...the temp difference seems to even out. Its only 1 degree cooler than most of the downstairs is, in the morning.

anyway, another observation I just made is that it is quite warm at the top of the stairwell; as warm as the area near the stove. (this is a center-entrance colonial, with the stairway going right up the middle of the house...mostly open on the first floor, stove in the front corner, 3 bedrooms upstairs of a small hallway). My bedroom shares a wall with the stairwell. I'm wondering how one of those through-the-wall fans that have been posted here would work, if I put it up high on the wall, to draw a little bit of extra heat into the bedroom. A bath exhaust fan might do the same thing, too, but may not come with an acceptable grate on both sides. Either way...
I know that most people say that its better to move the cold air down low, pushing it back toward the stove, rather than trying to move the hot air up high. But up there on my second floor, that would mean something in the way, always under-foot. this is a slightly different case, too, with a sort of "untapped pool" of heat sitting there.

thoughts?

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...angId;=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100047556

I have virtually the same setup - colonial with open plan, center staircase (& open - straight up to the second floor ceiling & a half wall upstairs). At the top of the stairs there is a small sitting foyer which goes to the hall & three bedrooms. There is a thermostat in that hall. the temperature there is always as high or higher than the two downstairs thermostats, both of which are within 20 ft of the stove. I too, have wondered about putting that type of fan on the stair wall to our bedroom; however, I will say thet we get very good heat even in the bedrooms if we leave the doors open when it is below 30 degrees or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.