BAM...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

maple1

Minister of Fire
Sep 15, 2011
Nova Scotia
The switch got thrown, and just like that, the blackflies are here.

By the cloud & with a vengeance.

The winter must have really cheesed them off too.

(Man I hate these things, nothing you can do about them except slap on the DEET....)

I went hacking at some windfalls this morning for a couple hours, after I posted that. I started out with long sleeves, but that didn't last long - I think winter might actually finally be over. I was sweating bullets. The saw running helps keep the flies away, but once you shut it off, watch out.

I'm on a break now. Been working at log load I went from the wrap around chaps back to the apron style because the wrap arounds are hot. . For some reason, the saw wouldn't start after refilling. I have a tip: don't put bar oil in gas tank as well as vice versa. It's running now, but my arm has only a certain number of pulls remaining.

Maple, they haven't hit over this way yet, but still rain for a few days. Just got above 70f here the other day. After this wet weather, should see some warm temps....then look out. Black flies/mosquito's/mingies will be thick. We had hoped to have started on the garden by now, get ahead of the pesky bastards. DEET good stuff.

I live on the cheap side of the local tourist drive (across the street from the big briney). Black flies are not a big part of our spring fest (not a much running water for breeding)... mosquitos are! I grew up in the land of black flies and they are the WORST.

My sympathies. Black flies are relentless, mosquitos at least give you a break during mid-day!

I can tolerate mosquitoes ... they're slow and as mentioned go away in the heat of the day. Black flies on the other hand I hate ... the whole swarming thing ... I end up with them in my nose, ears, mouth, etc ... at least they're only here for a few weeks until it gets too hot.

Back in the day I used to use Ol' Woodsman fly dope ... great stuff but it smelled like a combination of turpentine, pine sap and moose pee ... can't say that it did any wonders for my love life ... then again the squished bug guts in my ears wasn't exactly sexy either.

My wife makes this stuff with witch hazel and peppermint oil that works good. A bit sticky but it keeps them off

They almost seem to start gradually here. Seems like, at first, even though they're swarming, they not biting. Then, they bite more and more as days go by 'til it gets too hot and the mosquitos and deer flies take over.

For some reason, the saw wouldn't start after refilling. I have a tip: don't put bar oil in gas tank as well as vice versa. It's running now, but my arm has only a certain number of pulls remaining.
I think a lot of us have caught ourselves not paying attention, and done that... once. You won't repeat that mistake anytime soon.

Woke up scratching my bites.

I use this white mountain oil stuff. It's citronella oil, pepper mint, and a few others. Just the fumes burn your eyes out of your head. Works great for 45 min and then you gotta re apply.

Found out the hard way a few years back that since it's all oil you'll also get one heck of a sun burn from it too!

Hate the black flies!

I had a very busy 4-days at the cottage (lake front) and did all the outside work I could think of just because the little visitors hadn't shown up yet! They last about 2 weeks around here and sure make life miserable. I guess the birds eat well, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.