Bamboo Pellets??...Yes, there is apparently such an animal...LOL

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well at least we know it can grow in New England. Grow your own fuel anyone????

Anyone hear back on info about the samples?

I recall seeing bamboo growing about 10-12 ft high 20 yrs ago right here in western Ma.

imacman said:
smwilliamson said:
......how about finding some use for.....coffee grounds......

Been there, tried that. Forum member DJ who makes the grass pellets some of us tried last winter also helped us with experimenting making coffee pellets. A friend of Jay Takemans and DJ got some 5 gal. pails of grounds from Dunkin Donuts, and we tried it.

Long story short....it worked, sort of. I burned 35 lbs in my stove, and they did produce good heat, but the pellets were on the soft side and not dense enough. We need to find a binding agent to add, and we need to hammer mill the grounds this time after they dry out some.

The coffee grounds had us all excited, But due to using grass as a binder killed the ash content. If we could hammer mill the grounds and figure out a grounds to say a wood mix. just enough saw dust to make them bind. We could have something. My friend is coffeeman on this forum. He worked with me, But got a better job and I have lost contact with him.

There was a place in mass, X Café, has somthing in the works but Its isn't moving all that fast.

http://www.biomassmagazine.com/article.jsp?article_id=2419

We could see a java pellet in the future. High BTU and low ash!

A major problem with anything with paper is the ash content. You might as well burn bark. Ash content of paper is somewhere near 5% as. Paper and other high ash pellets would be what we could use for our energy production, The plants can handle the high ash fuels better! We found grass pellets around 3% and thats a lot of ash to handle. Corn is easily in the 1.2% range and is more exceptable. Find something high BTU with an ash content less than 1.5% and you might have something.

Back to the bamboo! The ash content looks promising, But is this fuel grow in the USA? Like someone said. Aren't we importing enough these days??? I would rather support a local farmer or business if possible. It is bad enough most of what we buy isn't made here. I would have no issue burning samples of the fuel if it was not from here. But to make it an everyday alternative it has to be from here or Canada! Of coarse it has to be less expensive or we might just as well burn the good clean wood fuel!

One thing we may see soon is plantation grown fuel. Trees grown for the purpose of pellet fuel. Softwoods look promising. Just like what has done with poplar for certain wood products. It can be engineered to grow fast and maybe play with it to achieve some super BTU's. I think Curran wood pellets have something on there site about the plantation grown wood to fiber!
Look at what VWP co. is doing with there whole log which is debarked and chipped to dust for pellets. Heck of a product and should be fiber safe(doesn't depend on housing market for steady fiber)!
Biomass is our future fuel.

j-takeman said:
Well at least we know it can grow in New England. Grow your own fuel anyone????

Anyone hear back on info about the samples?

Not even an email confirmation yet!

this is something i have been looking at for the last few months it will grow in new england it will take it about 3-5 yrs to reach the right size for harvest from what i have found. i plan on experimenting with diffrent kinds to grow around new england this year the btus may even come in higher then wood from what i have found with the moisture content low it may be as high as 10,000 btus per pound. an acer of bamboo will also consume 30% more carbon then wood can anyone come up with a reason i should not try to do this?

stoveguy13 said:
this is something i have been looking at for the last few months it will grow in new england it will take it about 3-5 yrs to reach the right size for harvest from what i have found. i plan on experimenting with diffrent kinds to grow around new england this year the btus may even come in higher then wood from what i have found with the moisture content low it may be as high as 10,000 btus per pound. an acer of bamboo will also consume 30% more carbon then wood can anyone come up with a reason i should not try to do this?

No, I can't. I would say the faster you absorb the carbon content the better. Presently there saying wood biomas takes approx 40 years to absord its carbon. Field grasses and corn are season crops. So they maybe quicker to grow the fuel.

Do you have a way to pelletize your own fuel?

No I dont have a way to pelletize it yet but i dont see that as a major issue yes grass or corn would be alot faster but grass has alot less btus per pound and corn is way to expensive with out the goverments help i thought is this can become a true local fuel that will be able to keep the cost way down

Well I got a response back, 2 PDF's of test reports that I cant attach here. if anyone wants 'em send me a PM w/your email and I'll reply w/them.

Dear Mr.

Thanks for your attention to our product(bamboo pellet)

see the attachment,pls

we can offer you a sample .

Werm said:
Well I got a response back, 2 PDF's of test reports that I cant attach here. if anyone wants 'em send me a PM w/your email and I'll reply w/them.

Dear Mr.

see the attachment,pls

PM sent!

I know a guy who used to work in the lumber/pellet industry, he told me 2 years ago to find a place to grow Bamboo. He said bamboo pellets would be the best pellet on the market and the ecological.

It grows well in Hawaii. But I am thinking the southeast, maybe Louisiana? They could use some new industry there.

BeGreen said:
It grows well in Hawaii. But I am thinking the southeast, maybe Louisiana? They could use some new industry there.

Think how good the pellets would burn if they were made out of oil soaked bamboo. Talk about BTU's.

Sorry, I couldn't resist, no disrespect intended towards those impacted by the BP spill.

j-takeman said:
Werm said:

Dear Mr.

see the attachment,pls

PM sent!

No PM recieved yet Jay,
Email me @ [email protected]

Werm said:
j-takeman said:
Werm said:

Dear Mr.

see the attachment,pls

PM sent!

No PM recieved yet Jay,
Email me @ [email protected]

You didn't get the PM cause "dummy" me sent it to woodsman23. Not enough coffee this morning and or to much allergy meds???IDK. Sorry woodsman23, Please disregard the PM from me. Oops.

I sent an email to you(well I think I did or a I hope I did.) Not the best of days. By the way "neat" email addy! Bet it get some attention!!! :lol:

Werm sent me the PDF's. I copied them to a jpg and will attach page 1 of each. Page 1 has the info that seems to be what we need! Hopefully we can read them???

Attachments

• page1 PDF1.jpg
    page1 PDF1.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 332
  • page1 PDF2.jpg
    page1 PDF2.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 315
j-takeman said:
smwilliamson said:
My wife bought some yoga pants that were made from bamboo. Her ass looks awesome in them. Now you all know. shhh.

I will quote imacman here.
I you don't show a picture it really didn't happen!
:lol:
yoga+bamboo.jpg

Now that will sell some pellets smw!

Here's iMacman's full publicity photo.... if this get's me banned it's been nice knowing you folks....

Attachments

• unknown comic full monty.jpg
    unknown comic full monty.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 209
smwilliamson said:
j-takeman said:
smwilliamson said:
My wife bought some yoga pants that were made from bamboo. Her ass looks awesome in them. Now you all know. shhh.

I will quote imacman here.
I you don't show a picture it really didn't happen!
:lol:
yoga+bamboo.jpg

I'm going to need to verify that in person!

Status
Not open for further replies.