Banded Ash Borer wood, what to do?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I spoke with a local arborist, and his feeling is that I'm fighting a losing battle. He was surprised I wanted to get rid of a cord of ash, just because it was infested with this borer. He said he's seeing so many invasive borers recently, that I'm not going to have any wood to burn in a few years, if I'm not willing to take borer infested wood. I fear he may be right, but I do feel better, having gotten rid of this load.
Unfortunately, I'm with the tree expert on this one. Whether you brought it or it arrives on its own, it'll be there before long. This is but one of the many side effects of 6 billion humans on our small planet, all simultaneously trying to increase their standard of living. All my ash and hemlocks are toast as a result of invasives.

On the plus side, sounds like you are going to have to your own source of wood closer to home soon.

All my ash and hemlocks are toast as a result of invasives.
Yeah just about all of the ash in this area is dead. But the hemlocks have been doing fairly well lately which is a good thing. But we have an area of virgin forest that used to have an amazing canopy of hemlock when I was growing up it is now very sad to go there and see it. Some of the trees survived but the canopy is gone.

What's happening to Hemlock? I just planted a dozen eastern Hemlock as a privacy screen at the back of my lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.