Banging Noice from Back of Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bank

Feeling the Heat
Nov 27, 2008
S. Maine
Hi All,
I have an 8 year old Harman Accentra with a chain driven auger. I recently had the stove cleaned and serviced by my local stove shop as I do every October.

I told him I get this constant banging noise from the back of the stove, he thought it was because the fines box was full, needless to say he cleaned that out as well as the rest of the stove, even though I did a full cleaning at close of last winter. He checked all moving parts and blowers as well.

In any event the noise still happens, mostly it is soft, every now and then a little louder.

Any thoughts? Thanks,

My stove will occasionally issue a loud report when the auger crushes a pellet during feeding. It is a noticeable bang that is not frequent perhaps once or twice a day. It hasn't been a problem and the stove continues to burn.

My stove will occasionally issue a loud report when the auger crushes a pellet during feeding. It is a noticeable bang that is not frequent perhaps once or twice a day. It hasn't been a problem and the stove continues to burn.
Remove the rear panels on the stove and put it in test mode. The auger motor will stop after approx 1 min and leave the combustion fan and distribution fan running. You should be sble to isolate the noise that way

Small pets? Hmmmm!, Nope, can't be that, Kids? Nope, must be gremlins, HAAHAAAHAA.. I think I'll go with Corkman and see what removing the panels does.

Well, it should at the very least allow the gremlins to make a graceful, orderly exit ...................

Is there set screws on the chain sprockets? I have had sprockets get loose and wobble on other equipment and start a banging noise

I had that on a different brand of stove. Could not figure it out. turns out that the auger motor would spin its own body upwards so the gear housing would lift up. then the pellets would spit out and the gear motor would drop back down, hitting a metal support. I only found it after a whole season of banging when the motor finally broke. that repeated soft hammering eventually opened up a hole in the gear case.
I lubed up everything and re aligned the auger and replaced the motor. still does it, only now I've wrapped the spot in rope gasket so no damage will occur.

Status
Not open for further replies.