Banning incandescent bulbs canada

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Most of my travels have been into New Brunswick. Holidays is usually a good time for cnandian shoppers over here. One advantage of money close to par. Our stores do benefit.

Most of my travels have been into New Brunswick. Holidays is usually a good time for cnandian shoppers over here. One advantage of money close to par. Our stores do benefit.

OK, just a few thoughts.

Bulbs & Migraines. I have them at times too. An observation that I have made is LED tail lights on cars. There are some that just plain bug me, They almost seem to have a very high speed strobe to them, others I am fine with. I do know that there are many types of CFLs that offer differing bulb hues from a cool Yellowish white to bright white, there are also some that take a few seconds to warm up and others that are instant on.
I guess that if you are bothered by bulbs, try a few different types and color ranges and see if you can find one that works for you.

Greg

Greg, I am from NB. Lived there for 25 years. MIss it dearly and hope to return within the next year or two.

My cheap electricity rates in Canada are rare. In fact, my rates are some of the cheapest in North America. It's just how things are. I do appreciate my wife's 2 free C-section/7 days hospital stay though. And in Quebec we have subsidized daycares for $7/day/child.

I agree things are cheaper in the US and always will be. Your volume is 10 times ours. Not to change course for this OP, but check out these links.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/canadian-car-buyers-blocked-from-cheaper-u-s-prices-1.2435299
http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/episodes/2013-2014/price-wars

I think you need to look deeper into the actual costs.
There are abot 35-40 companies that provide electricity in Ontario. This site, http://www.ontarioenergyboard.ca/OEB/Consumers/Electricity/Your Electricity Utility, let's you pick a utility company. And then it compares costs. The actual rates are the same for the electricity. However the delivery charge, regulatory charge vary from company to company (an example was 800Kwh/month the bills went from $110-$175). And then there's the debt retirement charge (This 0.7¢/kWh charge is set by the Ontario Ministry of Finance and is used by the government to pay down the residual stranded debt of the former Ontario Hydro).

Not to mention Ontario are supposed to see their electricity rates rise by 40% (that's not a typo) within 5 years. There had been a thread on this forum about the rising rates...

Andrew

I have a bunch of unused incandescent bulbs I would give away, but NOT, because using them is so wasteful in energy use. They are headed for a bag for crushing and disposal.

I just bought 30 LED A19 bulbs, 10 - 40 watt equivalent (6.5w-450 lumens) and 20 - 60 watt equivalent (9.5w-800 lumens) from Earth LED. The 6.5w were $5 each and the 9.5 were $10 each, round numbers. Our power company gives a $3/bulb rebate on the 6.5w because they are Energy Star labeled, the 9.5w were not, so just $2/bulb for the 6.5w, almost the same price as would be replacement CFL's. The LED's are replacing the last of our dimmable incandescent bulbs and our high use CFL's. The bulbs are SunSun brand, 3000K, and very pleasant light, dimmable.

I also gave each of our three adult children two of the 9.5w LED's for Christmas gifts to help them get started on the move to LED's. They already heavily use CFL's and all are very energy conservation conscious.

My wife and I also have a rental house, tenant pays his own electricity, but I pulled out all of the incandescent bulbs and replaced with CFL's a long time ago at my cost, tenant's savings, because it was the right thing to do.

I bought 7 CREE Edison-style bulbs yesterday at Home Despot. 2 were the 75W size, for an area that needed more light than the 60W could provide. The rest were 60W size for $7 each. Appears my local utility (PECO) is kicking in an 'instant rebate' on these guys at the HD register. The 40W size were $5!

Almost cheap enough for Joful to buy some. ;lol

Reactions: Swedishchef
For the LED's be careful of xx-watt equivalent claims. Look at the lumens instead. I have seen advertised 60-watt equivalent having lumen output from about 650 to 800. 60-watt equivalent should be 800 lumens, and 40-watt equivalent should be 450 lumens. Also then look at cost/lumen and cost/price of the bulb. It's not always easy to know if the lower price is actually the best priced LED.

I bought 7 CREE Edison-style bulbs yesterday at Home Despot. 2 were the 75W size, for an area that needed more light than the 60W could provide. The rest were 60W size for $7 each. Appears my local utility (PECO) is kicking in an 'instant rebate' on these guys at the HD register. The 40W size were $5!

Almost cheap enough for Joful to buy some. ;lol

I have a light fixture in my kitchen with 3 bulbs like that. Very stylish.

Andrew

For the LED's be careful of xx-watt equivalent claims. Look at the lumens instead. I have seen advertised 60-watt equivalent having lumen output from about 650 to 800. 60-watt equivalent should be 800 lumens, and 40-watt equivalent should be 450 lumens. Also then look at cost/lumen and cost/price of the bulb. It's not always easy to know if the lower price is actually the best priced LED.

The CREE bulbs would satisfy you...the '60W' are 800 lum and the '75W' are 1100 lum. Both are a v respectable 80-85 lum/W (in a warm-white 2700°K color bulb). No CRI listed, but seems ok. And the prices are awesome in the smaller bulbs. And dimmable (with LED-rated dimmer).

Last edited:
Definitely more attractive than the CREEs (sorry, my promotional contract with them requires me to SHOUT it).

Cree-LED-Light-Bulb-Energy-Efficient-Lighting-Incandescent-Replacement-Green-Lightings.jpg

I have seen some lovely bulbs like yours in different settings...including the RH store..seems like a small indulgence to me.

Last edited:
Definitely more attractive than the CREEs (sorry, my promotional contract with them requires me to SHOUT it).

I have seen some lovely bulbs like yours in different settings...including the RH store..seems like a small indulgence to me.
I find it adds to the rustic/old school look I am aiming for.

The CHEAPEST Cree bulb in Canada is $12 (40watt)! You got a really good price...

http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/...=mode+matchallpartial&Dx=mode+matchallpartial

Well, that should get better with time....The old L-prize bulbs that were roughly equivalent (but had better CRI) had an MSRP of $40 less than 2 years ago.

DId I mention the dimmers were $30 a piece?? :(

Last edited:
Reactions: Swedishchef
That is something I did not know.! Crazy!

I understand why people aren't worked up about mercury in light bulbs. They have only heard of it in old school thermometers. But I did work with it in my past life.

There's only 3-5mg per bulb. I just hope they tell people to sweep it up, put it in a bag for disposal and not suck it up with a vaccuum (which blows the vapours everywhere).

After reading about this bulb change all AM, I am sold. (I still have CFL lighting).

The Department Natural Resources says new regulations would deliver between $749 million and $2.4 billion in energy and greenhouse gas savings for Canadians, including 7.5 megatonnes of reduced annual greenhouse-gas emissions in 2025!
This post stopped me & I had to comment. Haven't even continued reading the thread from here yet...

Wow, this is the single most encouraging post I have ever seen on a green issue! Andrew started a thread about a piece of enviro legislation (with a kinda misleading title) made some very valid points against it, then actually read the responses! Asked more questions, made more good points, did some reading on his own and partly CHANGED HIS MIND based on facts instead of pre-conception!
Andrew, thank you for keeping an open mind and being willing to evolve thinking on a subject that inspires much fear-mongering and demagoguery!

Ha. Thanks Midwest.

A man thinks he is right...a REAL man knows when he is wrong.

I am a believer in facts. Often times we make decisions on information received via media. We can't all be engineers/testers/professionals and do the testing ourselves. So we must take what we read as somewhat valid information but still be uncertain about it and be open to learning more. Otherwise the world would still be flat (isn't it flat??? lol)

I have learned to trust some people and their statements on these forums.

During my chemistry degree my profs would not allow us to use websites as references. Only scientific journals (they were not online back in the day). Journals are always reviewed by people in the field before being published. whereas media articles and the internet is not.
A

Last edited:
This post stopped me & I had to comment. Haven't even continued reading the thread from here yet...

Wow, this is the single most encouraging post I have ever seen on a green issue! Andrew started a thread about a piece of enviro legislation (with a kinda misleading title) made some very valid points against it, then actually read the responses! Asked more questions, made more good points, did some reading on his own and partly CHANGED HIS MIND based on facts instead of pre-conception!
Andrew, thank you for keeping an open mind and being willing to evolve thinking on a subject that inspires much fear-mongering and demagoguery!

I had the same take! Plumens for everyone!! ;lol

I wish Philips had not discontinued the L-prize lamp. My utility started giving them out for $10, I only got 3.

I wish Philips had not discontinued the L-prize lamp. My utility started giving them out for $10, I only got 3.

Me too. :(

IIRC, I read that they were expensive for Phillips to make. They were willing to take a loss on a small number, but not to ramp up the numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.