1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

bar and chain case

Post in 'The Gear' started by brian89gp, Apr 29, 2013.

1. brian89gp

brian89gp Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Kansas City
    Has anybody ran across a bar and chain case? Something to put extra bars in and to somewhat keep chains untangled and organized?

I don't like chainsaw cases and carry mine around with just a bar cover, plus a small toolbox for the tools, spare spark plugs, sharpener, etc. The bar's won't fit in the box and whatever chains I put in there get everything else oily.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    I've never seen a purpose built bar and chain carrier. How big of a bar are you looking to carry?
  3. brian89gp

brian89gp Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Kansas City
    24, 20, 16, and two chains of each.
  4. bigbarf48

bigbarf48 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Stone Mountain GA
    It seems like a wide enough toolbox would work. Bars in the bottom, chains organized in the tray on top. Better yet put a kitchen organizer in there with slots/trays long enough to hold a chain

I too hate tangled chains, they confuse the hell outta me;lol
  5. BobUrban

BobUrban Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Michigan
    The dispoasable plastic boxes used in the kitchen work and I like the idea of a utensil tray for the chains if they fit. I just keep a few old Stihl plastic dealios that the chains come in to hold them in a duffle bag full of tools.

I agree there are times when unraveling a chain can be like one of those old "bent nail" games or a Rubics cube?? I am sure there are some who can get it quick but I find myself playing around for a while figuring it out and it never seems to make sense.

If there is a simple trick to it someone should put up a tutoral with pics - I know I would be grateful!
  6. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    I just use a regular toolbox, which holds all of my spare chains, screnches, grease gun, tuning screwdrivers, bar groove cleaner tool, etc. I keep the chains in their original boxes, when I have them. My Stihl dealer gives out free chain boxes (as many as I need), for the chains that came to me without a box. I don't carry a spare bar, and if I did, it would likely be a 36" for the 064. I don't want to carry a toolbox that big.
  7. Bigg_Redd

Bigg_Redd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Shelton, WA
    Nope
    Nixon likes this.