Bar and Chain Oil

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

deck2

Burning Hunk
Aug 1, 2008
Adirondack Foothills, NY
Is there a big diffrence between the brands of bar and chain oil (Stihl, Husquvarna, or the store brands, TSC....) I have always used Stihl oil but the closest dealer is now farther away from where I live and I have been buying more stuff at Tractor Supply. I still use Stihl or Husq. 2 stroke oil. I now have a bigger saw and noticed that a bigger saw means more oil so I am also trying to be cheap when it comes to Bar and Chain oil.

I use anything I can get my hands on.....Mostly veggie oil, but I have used every brand. Seems the stihl is the most tacky.

I can get veggie oil for 6 bucks and keeps the saw lot cleaner! I have use hydro in a pinch auto trans fulid and filtered used oil. All do fine.

I would recommend the bar and chain oils of any brand before going to an alternative lube like engine oil or atf. The bar oil has that stringy tackiness and the right viscosity. I use poulan or walmart supertech oil and it works fine.

How would you even know if it wasn't working? Like when you run out of oil, the bar and chain would get hot and dry. So long as that doesn't happen I suppose it is doing the job. Worst case is you ruin a bar and chain. Those things are wear items anyway.

Highbeam said:
I would recommend the bar and chain oils of any brand before going to an alternative lube like engine oil or atf. The bar oil has that stringy tackiness and the right viscosity. I use poulan or walmart supertech oil and it works fine.

How would you even know if it wasn't working? Like when you run out of oil, the bar and chain would get hot and dry. So long as that doesn't happen I suppose it is doing the job. Worst case is you ruin a bar and chain. Those things are wear items anyway.

I have been on a saw for decades. Atf is the choice of many feller's. Veggie is the choice of most csm (chain saw mills) used oil filter through old blue jeans is from Lee. Hydro was what I had work great. Not only have all been tested but prov-en. If it will run through a 30inch log milling its good enough for my saw's. Well over 3500.00 in them and I do not take short cuts with them for I can not replace one. :coolgrin:

Stihl and some other brands are 12 bucks a gallon so I buy the cheaper 7 dollar stuff, it was on sale in the spring for 5 or so, stock up on the good buys cause it aint gonna be pretty.

A lot of people, in MY OPINION, over-think bar oil....or think of it in the same terms as engine lubrication. I'm not an oil snob (for lack of a better term) arguing whether Mobil1 full syn beats AMSOil or whatever, but I do take high quality oil and regular changes very seriously in all of my engines from my vehicles to my OPE. Good oil and good maint are cheap insurance in my book.

A chainsaw bar cannot be thought of the same way...purity and viscosity play little part. Just think of you much metal the bar/chain themselves generate in the lubrication channels (they aren't hardened precision milled components so it is just a fact they will shed some metal), let alone all the environmental particulate from sawdust, dirt, etc that comes into play.

I usually run the cheapest store bought bar oil I can get. I have never prematurely worn out a bar or chain. I discard chains because I sharpen them down to nubs...not because the bar contact areas get too worn.

Others run used motor oil, hyd fluid, veggie oil, atf, or bacon grease (OK...I made that one up). My dad, for example, has exclusively run filtered used oil on his Homelite 360 for going on 30 years (yes one saw for 30 years, not multiple 360's). He's probably a 1%-er (compared to your average wood burner) when it comes to how much wood he's cut like that . I'm not saying used motor oil is a good idea because carcinogens and environmental hazards are concerning, but it does the job of keeping the chain rolling just fine.

Not trying to stir the pot, but bar oil is not rocket surgery. Yes some may lube better in hot/cold conditions, but these aren't F1 race engines. Oil versus no oil is what kills components....not the type of oil. Again, MY OPINION.

End rant/ramble. Carry on.

I've been running saws for decades too, been doing lots of things for decades and that alone doesn't make me or you some kind of expert in any of them. So who is an expert? Hmmm, maybe the saw maker. What does your manual say? Probably says to use bar and chain oil on a bar and chain. I worry more about the oil pump going TU than the bar and chain wearing out.

I would love to be able to use hydro oil for the saw, I've got to change 7 gallons of it every 400 tractor hours. 7 gallons of B&C oil would last a long time for most of us.

Highbeam said:
I've been running saws for decades too, been doing lots of things for decades and that alone doesn't make me or you some kind of expert in any of them. So who is an expert? Hmmm, maybe the saw maker. What does your manual say? Probably says to use bar and chain oil on a bar and chain. I worry more about the oil pump going TU than the bar and chain wearing out.

I would love to be able to use hydro oil for the saw, I've got to change 7 gallons of it every 400 tractor hours. 7 gallons of B&C oil would last a long time for most of us.

Well 5 min on an 880 milling it either works or it dont.....Expert Never said that real world YOU CAN BET ON! :cheese: There more heat milling then You could ever get on a cross cut hot lapping in 120 degree full Sun with an awesome pit crew!

New milling bar is 500-900 bucks not about to melt mine down.

Why wood an oil pump go bad??
I've been logging 25+ years and I can remember replacing 3 or 4 and thats on 25,000,000+ BF and thousands of cords of firewood using crankcase oil out of every skidder ,dozer and logtruck on the job. Flame on weekend wood jockeys!!!!

Cutting for 30 yrs,milling for 18.I use cheapest veggie oil I can get for regular cutting & milling when the temps are under 30 degrees outside.Since its a tad thinner & flows better in cold temps.Rest of the time I use used oil I filter myself through coffee filters & old denim.Never had any trouble with either product.

XactLEE said:
I've been logging 25+ years and I can remember replacing 3 or 4 and thats on 25,000,000+ BF and thousands of cords of firewood using crankcase oil out of every skidder ,dozer and logtruck on the job. Flame on weekend wood jockeys!!!!

lol I would be broke if I was running stihl oil. Wish I got more used oil, but I use ever bit I can get, maybe 5 gallons a year now. Use 11 gallons of veggie oil this spring. Someone took one. (thinks its the gf) Out of all oil right now. May have to try some olive oil... (gf has 2 gallons of that lol)

smokinjay said:
XactLEE said:

lol I would be broke if I was running stihl oil. Wish I got more used oil, but I use ever bit I can get, maybe 5 gallons a year now. Use 11 gallons of veggie oil this spring. Someone took one. (thinks its the gf) Out of all oil right now. May have to try some olive oil... (gf has 2 gallons of that lol)

Its nuts aint it? :-S I looked at a couple local places when buying other things recently,cheapest bar oil I could find was $8/gallon,some was $14! No way will I pay that when the other stuff we use works just fine.

Thistle said:
smokinjay said:
XactLEE said:

Its nuts aint it? :-S I looked at a couple local places when buying other things recently,cheapest bar oil I could find was $8/gallon,some was $14! No way will I pay that when the other stuff we use works just fine.

Last round I bought 3 case of veggie oil 4 per case. 72.00 no tax. That got me from nov. til frist of may. Need to start changing oil in everthing and build a supply back up. Not cutting much right now, that will give me time to filter it a couple times. :) I think buying new veggie is the way to go.

smokinjay said:
Thistle said:
smokinjay said:
XactLEE said:

Last round I bought 3 case of veggie oil 4 per case. 72.00 no tax. That got me from nov. til frist of may. Need to start changing oil in everthing and build a supply back up. Not cutting much right now, that will give me time to filter it a couple times. :) I think buying new veggie is the way to go.

Some local restaraunts sometimes give away some old veggie oil if you ask around.Gonna check that out & see.I have a few milk jugs + ones that originally held antifreeze yrs ago,well washed out.

Thistle said:
smokinjay said:
Thistle said:
smokinjay said:
XactLEE said:

Some local restaraunts sometimes give away some old veggie oil if you ask around.Gonna check that out & see.I have a few milk jugs + ones that originally held antifreeze yrs ago,well washed out.

Thats pretty darn smart there.... ;-)

I'm wondering if Extra Virgin Olive Oil or Canola might be better than plain veggie oil. I'd hate to have to start feeding Lipitor to my Stihl.

Kenster said:
I'm wondering if Extra Virgin Olive Oil or Canola might be better than plain veggie oil. I'd hate to have to start feeding Lipitor to my Stihl.

I will let you know if she dont catch me! ;-)

OK, I usually stay out of these bar oil discussions, but, I've been down the used veggie oil road with diesel fuel, & heat sources. Yes you get it free quite often, the larger pieces of french fry, fish, chicken, the occasional dead rodent etc. start to smell real bad after a few days. They can be strained out pretty easily though. The finer contaminants that will plug your filter are much more time consuming to remove. 1/2 gal will plug 2 large paint strainers before it all runs through. Denim works well if you can pour it in & leave it sit while you do something else. Women's nylons are also a very good filter media, but always ask first, the wife was pi$$ed when I raided her drawer while she was at work. If anyone knows of a better method, please let me know.

ALWAYS REMEMBER! This advice was worth exactly what you paid for it. Your mileage will vary. A C

amateur cutter said:
OK, I usually stay out of these bar oil discussions, but, I've been down the used veggie oil road with diesel fuel, & heat sources. Yes you get it free quite often, the larger pieces of french fry, fish, chicken, the occasional dead rodent etc. start to smell real bad after a few days. They can be strained out pretty easily though. The finer contaminants that will plug your filter are much more time consuming to remove. 1/2 gal will plug 2 large paint strainers before it all runs through. Denim works well if you can pour it in & leave it sit while you do something else. Women's nylons are also a very good filter media, but always ask first, the wife was pi$$ed when I raided her drawer while she was at work. If anyone knows of a better method, please let me know.

ALWAYS REMEMBER! This advice was worth exactly what you paid for it. Your mileage will vary. A C

Never done used veggie, but used oil I use jeans or coffee filters or both when I am not in a big hurry. I use a big @ss funnel and let give it time.

Status
Not open for further replies.