Bar and Chain question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
the 260 026 seem to run best on a .325 pitch x .050 gauge chain

smokinjay said:

Dumb question, where do you find a this pitch at a .50 gauge chain? I can only find the .63.

freeburn said:
smokinjay said:

Dumb question, where do you find a this pitch at a .50 gauge chain? I can only find the .63.

Looks like Bailey's doesnt offer the Arbor Max bar in .050. They probably got a deal on the .063 that no one wants. I would look at other brands in .050 bars or shop elsewhere.

southbound said:
Funny all he wanted was a new chain and we got all into bars...

title says bar and chain, my bad

That's OK if you got into bars. It turns out that I now have to replace the bar I have on. The bottom side is warped just enough that I can't flip it upside down. The part by the tip is worn pretty bad too. It was a used saw when I bought it. What's on there right now is the Stihl Duromatic. So back to the question. Now what? I've got two chains .325 16". Any recommendations as to bar length and chain? Essentially I could start over with the 026 body. I like the 16", plenty of power, but I'm wondering if 18" would be a bit better? I welcome your thoughts.

I'm looking for quality, and somewhat affordability, if I have to pay a little more, fine if it lasts it's worth it. And what's the deal with the replaceable tips? Specifically on the Windsor.

I'm looking to go 3/8 .050. All new chains, probably. So bar is the only thing in question. . .

freeburn said:
That's OK if you got into bars. It turns out that I now have to replace the bar I have on. The bottom side is warped just enough that I can't flip it upside down. The part by the tip is worn pretty bad too. It was a used saw when I bought it. What's on there right now is the Stihl Duromatic. So back to the question. Now what? I've got two chains .325 16". Any recommendations as to bar length and chain? Essentially I could start over with the 026 body. I like the 16", plenty of power, but I'm wondering if 18" would be a bit better? I welcome your thoughts.

I'm looking for quality, and somewhat affordability, if I have to pay a little more, fine if it lasts it's worth it. And what's the deal with the replaceable tips? Specifically on the Windsor.

with that saw I would stick with the 16in. bar it just performs much better and your chains will still work.

OK, 16in. I can live with, just a thought. Looks like a need a new rim sprocket too. Starting to get the grooves. Stick with .325.

I have had an 026 for years and I've used everything from 16" to 20" on it and I've used both large and small chain on it. I can tell you with some precision what works on them and what doesn't, having used them all on the same saw. Just for reference I have cut well over 100 cords of wood with the saw in the years I've owned it.

The best chain size I have found for an 026 is .050 gauge 3/8" chain on a 16" bar. The smaller .325 (.063 guage) chain works well on the saw on an 18" bar but the shorter bar with the larger chain works better in the saw by far. 20" is too much for the saw even with the skinny chain. The 3/8" chain will cut faster and last longer between sharpenings.

The time to switch the saw from .063 guage to .050 guage is when you are replacing the bar and chain anyway - the additional expense is only $6 for the drive sprocket. Its well worth it. As for the chain itself, my preference is for 33RSC Stihl chain.

By the way, there seems to be a lot of confusion above. If you've got an 026 (MS260) it either came with a .325, 063 guage bar and chain (most common) of some length or it came with a 3/8", .050 guage bar and chain (uncommon).

Kong said:
I have had an 026 for years and I've used everything from 16" to 20" on it and I've used both large and small chain on it. I can tell you with some precision what works on them and what doesn't, having used them all on the same saw. Just for reference I have cut well over 100 cords of wood with the saw in the years I've owned it.

The best chain size I have found for an 026 is .050 gauge 3/8" chain on a 16" bar. The smaller .325 (.063 guage) chain works well on the saw on an 18" bar but the shorter bar with the larger chain works better in the saw by far. 20" is too much for the saw even with the skinny chain. The 3/8" chain will cut faster and last longer between sharpenings.

The time to switch the saw from .063 guage to .050 guage is when you are replacing the bar and chain anyway - the additional expense is only $6 for the drive sprocket. Its well worth it. As for the chain itself, my preference is for 33RSC Stihl chain.

By the way, there seems to be a lot of confusion above. If you've got an 026 (MS260) it either came with a .325, 063 guage bar and chain (most common) of some length or it came with a 3/8", .050 guage bar and chain (uncommon).

no confussion the 026 or 260 3/8 .050 is dog slow jmho and .325 can be had in 063 or 050 I perfere the 050- .325 just my 2 cents
anything to speed one up.

Kong said:

What I had was .325 w/ .063 bar and chain (stock). In speaking with my dealer he recommended 3/8" chain and .050 bar for more chips. That might be what I end up doing, not sure. Just debating whether to go with the the Stihl bar or something else. Dealer quoted $47 for an 18". Not sure what the 16" would be.

I understand that a thinner chain is going to cut faster, like a thin kerf saw blade it doesn't have to take as much out. But there is more cutter tooth there too on a wider chain (blade). Or am I not understanding this correctly.

By the way, I appreciate your suggestions! This information is great. Keep them coming even if they are disagreeing:)

freeburn said:
Kong said:

What I had was .325 w/ .063 bar and chain (stock). In speaking with my dealer he recommended a faster cutting speed with 3/8" chain and .050 bar. That might be what I end up doing. Just debating whether to go with the the Stihl bar or something else. Dealer quoted $47 for an 18". Not sure what the 16" will be.

the 050 he is correct but the .325 is a faster chain for a 50cc saw imo the 260 gets very sticky with a 3/8 .050

unless he is talking about the 3/8 low profile that would be right

[quote author="freeburn" date="1261632387"][quote author="Kong" date="1261631662"]

What I had was .325 w/ .063 bar and chain (stock). In speaking with my dealer he recommended 3/8" chain and .050 bar for more chips. That might be what I end up doing, not sure. Just debating whether to go with the the Stihl bar or something else. Dealer quoted $47 for an 18". Not sure what the 16" would be.

I understand that a thinner chain is going to cut faster, like a thin kerf saw blade it doesn't have to take as much out. But there is more cutter tooth there too on a wider chain (blade). Or am I not understanding this correctly.

quote]

Its one of those odd things I guess, like why a 28 guage shotgun holds the best pattern of any. You put a 16" bar on that saw with a 3/8" chain and you're gonna love it. As luck would have it I have the receipt for the 16" bar right in front of me, it ran me $36.95 at the dealer, which means you could get one for about half that on E-Bay if you wanted. I don't know why the larger chain cuts better, maybe its something to do with kerf relative to the bar width. What interests me more is that it seems to go much longer between sharpenings. Because we carry lots of extra chains into the woods we don't hesitate at all to change chains at the first hint of dullness. Typically I'd go through 3 chains in a day with the .325" chain. Since I switched over to the 3/8" chain I've only changed a chain once during a day of cutting - so basically I'm getting a full day out of a chain.

Yes, cutting the larger kerf requires more power but when I went to the 3/8" chain I concurently moved down from an 18" bar to a 16" one. It was that reduction of 2" in bar length (4" shorter chain) that made up for the higher drag of the wider chain. So the end is that the wide chain speeds through the wood at the same rate as the narrower chain. Another impression, and this is one my son mentioned almost immediately. He said that that saw really self-fed itself into the wood where he had never really noticed it doing that before. It just makes the cutting that much closer to effortless - if I may abuse that word a bit. :~)

Kong said:
freeburn said:
Kong said:

quote]

Its one of those odd things I guess, like why a 28 guage shotgun holds the best pattern of any. You put a 16" bar on that saw with a 3/8" chain and you're gonna love it. As luck would have it I have the receipt for the 16" bar right in front of me, it ran me $36.95 at the dealer, which means you could get one for about half that on E-Bay if you wanted. I don't know why the larger chain cuts better, maybe its something to do with kerf relative to the bar width. What interests me more is that it seems to go much longer between sharpenings. Because we carry lots of extra chains into the woods we don't hesitate at all to change chains at the first hint of dullness. Typically I'd go through 3 chains in a day with the .325" chain. Since I switched over to the 3/8" chain I've only changed a chain once during a day of cutting - so basically I'm getting a full day out of a chain.

Yes, cutting the larger kerf requires more power but when I went to the 3/8" chain I concurently moved down from an 18" bar to a 16" one. It was that reduction of 2" in bar length (4" shorter chain) that made up for the higher drag of the wider chain. So the end is that the wide chain speeds through the wood at the same rate as the narrower chain. Another impression, and this is one my son mentioned almost immediately. He said that that saw really self-fed itself into the wood where he had never really noticed it doing that before. It just makes the cutting that much closer to effortless - if I may abuse that word a bit. :~)

I traded off my 260 with 16 in. .050 3/8 was very disappointed in it. Brand New 260 saw just not enough power in that saw imo to run that set up hard. The self feeding thing your talking about is right because if you push it there's where it will stick....I was going for a 3/8 .050 set up for all my saws but for me the 260 just wasnt enough saw to pull it off.

You must have a Stealer down there, they wanted $40 plus for new bars here. The cheapest on Ebay was $35, then you gotta pay shipping!

Status
Not open for further replies.