Bar not getting oil - need advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

basswidow

Minister of Fire
Oct 17, 2008
Milton GA
Picked up a used Stihl MS 290. Starts and runs perfect. I noticed right off the bat, that the seller had the chain on backwards. (why?). Chain looked like they had been cutting tires with it. I corrected this and pointed up the chain. Topped off the gas and bar oil, - she runs great, but I am not getting any bar oil out at all. No spray and when I stopped the saw and examined the bar - no oil in the channel or on the chain.

Is this an easy fix for a rookie like me? Could it be they caused damage to the oil'er by running the chain on backwards?

I just got it last night and I only had a second to look at it this morning before work. I pulled the side plate and I swear - it's missing parts. It just looked so empty. Now that I am at work - seems like I can only remember seeing a sprocket. I can't remember seeing a clutch or chain brake. I will get a better look at it over the holiday.

Can anyone walk me thru a fix on adjusting the bar oil'er?

Thanks.

Also - how can I determine the age of the saw. It has the flip caps. When did Stihl start installing the flip caps? Have they been around awhile? Or is there a number on the saw that I can check to see when it was made. Thanks.

Its an inboard clutch...Very cold out did you check to see how much oil was used vs gas used?

Should be a small hole on each side of the bar that takes oil into the bar. Sometimes these holes get plugged with chit. Clean them out and the bar groove then try it before thinxing it's the oiler.

Thanks smokinjay & shamelessLEE,

You're right - I went to the stihl website and also to ehow. They post pictures and so I can see that the brake/clutch is internal. They also say the oil'er is automatic and uses 50% less. Perhaps I am just used to seeing alot more oil when using my ECHO? I will investigate further. I will also check the holes on the bar. I was expecting to see the same stuff under the side plate on the Stihl - as I see when I pull the plate on my ECHO - so I was surprized to see it looks so empty under there. Had me worried it was missing parts - too funny.

I did find on ehow two articles on how to adjust the oiler and to replace the pump if needed:

http://www.ehow.com/how_7454429_adjust-oiler-stihl-ms-290.html

http://www.ehow.com/how_6497758_fix-bar-oiler-stihl-chainsaw.html

and

http://www.ehow.com/how_5973439_service-stihl-chainsaw.html

I only cut one round and yes it was cold this morning. I just received it after buying it on ebay and wanted to give it a test run before posting feedback. I wanted to atleast make a cut with it before heading off to work. I really like the saw. I didn't look at it really close - but usually when I rev the saw and point the tip to the face of a round - you can see the oil droplets. I could not with the Stihl which has me concerned. Maybe it needs alittle cleaning and adjusting.

They did not drain the bar oil during shipping. And last night - alittle oil leaked - Can't tell if it leaked from the cap or from under the sprocket at this time. I will give it a closer look over the holidays. Any tips appreciated.

basswidow said:
Thanks smokinjay,

You're right - I went to the stihl website and also to ehow. They post pictures and so I can see that the brake is internal. They also say the oil'er is automatic and uses 50% less. Perhaps I am just used to seeing alot more oil when using my ECHO? I will investigate further. I was expecting to see the same stuff under the side plate on the Stihl - as I see when I pull the plate on my ECHO - so I was surprized to see it looks so empty under there.

I did find on ehow two articles on how to adjust the oiler and to replace the pump if needed:

http://www.ehow.com/how_7454429_adjust-oiler-stihl-ms-290.html

http://www.ehow.com/how_6497758_fix-bar-oiler-stihl-chainsaw.html

and

http://www.ehow.com/how_5973439_service-stihl-chainsaw.html

I only cut one round and yes it was cold this morning. I just received it after buying it on ebay and wanted to give it a test run before posting feedback. I wanted to atleast make a cut with it before heading off to work. I really like the saw. I didn't look at it really close - but usually when I rev the saw and point the tip to the face of a round - you can see the oil droplets. I could not with the Stihl which has me concerned. Maybe it needs alittle cleaning and adjusting.

They did not drain the bar oil during shipping. I will give it a closer look over the holidays. Any tips appreciated.

Run your oiler as high as it will go...And check the bar as lee said should be good to go. If your out in this cold for long periods of time add a little kerosene to your bar oil.

One trick the guys at the shop told me on these oilers,,,,,If you turn it all the way up it will pulse out in spurts.. If you want a steady stream you need to open it all the way then turn back a little to get the steady stream.....

These saws are not known for putting out tons of oil,if you see it coming off the tip of the bar it's all good.....

It was alittle dark this morning and the oil I put in was clear and fresh - so it may have been hard to see. Might have needed to run it alittle more.

I will run it again tonight against some paper or something to get a better look, clean out the bar, etc.

Worse case would be I'd need to pull the pump and even that doesn't look too bad. I will pull the inspection cover and make sure it's clear and has oil. Do the easy stuff first.

Thanks

Never heard of ehow basswidow thanks.

Does your oiler have any filter in it's reservoir ? Might want to check that as well as the fuel filter. Running with the chain backwards no telling what they were putting in it ...
My Husky has a little rubber flap that acts as a gasket to keep oil going into bar slot. That got out of position on me one time when I had the bar off and kept oil from flowing.

With my older 026 Stihl saws I could see the oil pumping out, even at idle, and even in the cold weather. My new 290 does not do that and it barely uses any oil at all compared to the older saws, especially now that the weather has gotten cold. I have been told that the oil pump for the old saws pumps all the time, even at idle; the new 290 oil pump only works when the chain is moving.

Anyway, even with the oil pump set to maximum on my 290, at 10°F, it barely uses any oil at all and it certainly never slings any off the bar like the older saws do. But apparently it's oiling enough because the bar and chain seem unaffected.

Status
Not open for further replies.