Bar Oil Leak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

red oak

Minister of Fire
Sep 7, 2011
northwest Virginia
Hi all - quick question about my Husky 350 saw. Cutting wood on Saturday, cut one full gas tank with no problems. Refilled gas and oil because I needed to make about a dozen more cuts or so. Saw a lot of bar oil leaking out of the saw and onto the bar. So I stopped cutting for that day and loaded what I had already cut, which turned out to be a decent load for my small ranger anyway. So I cleaned the saw pretty well, took it apart and didn't see any obvious damage (parts cracked, etc.) and ran it. It seemed to run fine and the bar was getting oil but I didn't see any leaks. I also checked the oil adjustment screw and it was screwed all the way to the right, at the setting for the least amount of oil. So it seemed to run fine but I guess the real test will be when I try to cut a few full loads on Saturday. Any of the experts here have an idea on anything else I should check? Thanks in advance!

If you just filled it with cold oil, expansion from the heat of the saw could create enough pressure for oil to be forced through the normal oiling system and leak from the bar. If it doesn't leak during storage, I wouldn't worry too much.

Was there a Stihl nearby? Pretty normal for a Husky to wet itself under those circumstances.... (sorry, couldn't resist :p )

Thanks - I hadn't thought of that. It was cold oil, temp was in the 30s at the time I think. It does not leak during storage. No Stihls nearby either!

Status
Not open for further replies.