bar oil

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smokinj

Minister of Fire
Aug 11, 2008
Anderson, Indiana
Anyone bought or priced bar oil and mix 6 pack of mix and a gallon of bar oil STIHL brand just paid 28.00 bucks!

Running this through my Turing Engine- I read that you got a gallon of bar oil and a 6 of 2 stroke mix for $28. Was this a 6 of Stihl brand- and mix for 1 gallon at a time?

I saw Motion Lotion over at Baileys for really cheap.

Adios Pantalones said:
Running this through my Turing Engine- I read that you got a gallon of bar oil and a 6 of 2 stroke mix for $28. Was this a 6 of Stihl brand- and mix for 1 gallon at a time?

I saw Motion Lotion over at Baileys for really cheap.
yes it stihl was at the dealer ship this am. and have 3 trees to cut down this weekend so i didnt want to run short bought some other stuff and didnt look at the recite til i got to work! Bailys from now on!!!!!!!!

smokinj said:
Anyone bought or priced bar oil and mix 6 pack of mix and a gallon of bar oil STIHL brand just paid 28.00 bucks!

I use the Stihl 6 packs of 50:1 but I don't pay the big bucks for the bar oil. I get the cheapo stuff from Wal-Mart. For three years i've done that and have not had any bar/chain/lube issues.

I use Amsoil products for everything I own, cars,truck,Harley etc etc. I use 100:1 2 cycle oil for ALL 2 cycle motors and their bar & chain for my saw. Never had a problem with their products.

Now I use WalMart bar oil at 5+ A GAL but am sticking with Stilh 2 stroke 40:1 oil mix. Dealer bar oil has gone through the roof...back in Mar I was pay'en $14 a gal WTF!

Since I do 90% of my cutting in the winter months, I use the Stihl blue jug Winter Grade. My last gallon was $11. I used 1/2 gallon last winter. Nothing else I've ever used has poured like it, even down to around 10 degrees. I used to use the cheap Poulan brand from Wal-Mart but it is like molasses at those temps. I just can't imaging it is lubing well when it is that thick.

As to the mix, when I bought my Stihl in January, I picked up a 6 pack of the 50:1 1 gallon bottles. I still have 2 of them left. I believe that was $12.50. I'm not taking any chances on inferior oil. I only put 93 octane no ethonal in all of my OPE.

I am a fan of the Poulan oil from Wal-mart, I liked it better last season when it was tinted red so you could see how well it worked. Its about $5.00 / gallon. If I run in the cold of the winter, I just use 30 wt hd. For the 2 stroke mix I use the wal mart or the pint bottle reminents of blendzoil castor left over from filling our racing quad. Love the smell of the castor. YUM

just bough the stihl bar and premix oil today..

gallon of bar oil- $22.90
6-pack of 2.6 oz bottles of premix- $8.49

MobilRacing MX2T - $7.99/quart. And I've got enough stashed away to last me a couple years, at least! As for the bar oil...WTF? Sounds like y'all are getting ripped, 'cause I have yet to see it cost anywhere near $22.

Just bought a gallon of bar oil at Tractor Supply, paid $9.

I think allot of the pricing has to do with the dealer. We have 2 Sthil dealers in the area. One is quite reasonable and the other is quite expensive. As for the bar oil I can get the Sthil brand locally for just a tad over what Wal-Mart sells poulan bar oil for. At the other Sthil place it was $16 a gallon. Go figure.

TSC had their bar oil labor day sale for 6.99 a gal.

Status
Not open for further replies.