Bar Oil

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

basswidow

Minister of Fire
Oct 17, 2008
Milton GA
TSC had a large gallon of bar oil on sale.

What do you guys use to put your bar oil into the saw? I usually just buy the smaller quarts as they are easy to pour. I was thinking of saving my empties and filling those up from a larger gallon size as there is no way to fill the saw from the larger gallon size bottle.

Is there an easier method for bar oil? Say a sports squirt bottle? Or is there a pump lid ? That would be convient.

Just wondering what others use in the field.

I do what you mentioned........ fill an empty quart up from the big gallon TSC jugs using a small funnel.

I have a long necked bottle that works great, because of the long neck it makes it easy to pour into the small hole.

basswidow said:
TSC had a large gallon of bar oil on sale.

What do you guys use to put your bar oil into the saw? I usually just buy the smaller quarts as they are easy to pour. I was thinking of saving my empties and filling those up from a larger gallon size as there is no way to fill the saw from the larger gallon size bottle.

Is there an easier method for bar oil? Say a sports squirt bottle? Or is there a pump lid ? That would be convient.

Just wondering what others use in the field.

basswidow I have a small funnel that is in the rhino or truck that I use then I have an empty coffee can that the funnel goes in. I use a yellow funnel for the chainsaw oil and a blue funnel for the oil used in the splitters.

I carry the oil in the original container which I think is one gallon but I think your idea of quarts is better.

zap

smokinjay said:
Gallon jug not hard to use.
+1
That's all I've ever used. I can't see a funnel working at all.

My saw is small and the handle is close to the fill cap - so there's no way I could pour from the gallon jug and see what I am doing. I'd spill it all over.

I need to find a pump cap with a clear tube that I could attach to the gallon jug. I could leave that on the tail gate and just pump some in to fill up. Gas goes in easier since the handle is not close. My gas is a gallon jug too, but it has a spout and is easy to use.

Maybe I'll just use a funnel and fill up my empty quarts.

Thanks for the tips.

basswidow said:
My saw is small and the handle is close to the fill cap - so there's no way I could pour from the gallon jug and see what I am doing. I'd spill it all over.

I need to find a pump cap with a clear tube that I could attach to the gallon jug. I could leave that on the tail gate and just pump some in to fill up. Gas goes in easier since the handle is not close. My gas is a gallon jug too, but it has a spout and is easy to use.

Maybe I'll just use a funnel and fill up my empty quarts.

Thanks for the tips.

I really have no issue's even on the little 192t Thats one of the smallest saw made. If it helps you roll with it!

Best chainsaw tip I've ever heard and passed along is on this very topic.

Get yourself a 1 quart gear-oil bottle. You know, the ones with the little squeeze nozzle on the end, and the cap that snaps over it?
949-VV825.jpg

Keep your oil in this, I've found that 1 quart of oil is plenty for any 1 trip I make to the woods. The absolute best thing about these bottles is that you just squeeze the oil in, No messes, no waiting for the thick oil to pour in, very few strings etc. If you knock the bottle over, the tiny nozzle prevent it from going all over, at most you'll get a couple drips before you get it picked back up. This will rapidly speed up your oil refill time, and greatly decrease your "oops, made a mess" occurrences.

ETA, this also makes it much easier to refill when the oil is cold and thick, you just squeeze it right out.

Reactions: Ralphie Boy
smokinjay said:
I really have no issue's even on the little 192t Thats one of the smallest saw made. If it helps you roll with it!

On the ms170 the handle is half-way over the oil cap, it's possible to fill from a gallon jug, but it's tough to hold the saw with the cap out of the way and not spill oil all over. It's much, much easier to use the method I mentioned above.

CountryBoy19 said:
smokinjay said:

On the ms170 the handle is half-way over the oil cap, it's possible to fill from a gallon jug, but it's tough to hold the saw with the cap out of the way and not spill oil all over. It's much, much easier to use the method I mentioned above.

Heck right now its hard to get the oil out of the bottle...lol Set mine up so the saw's will be back into the shop on the tractor and trailer to be set on the saw bench wear the oil is warm. Not fighting this cold weather this season taking advantage of my Heated shop whenever possible!

I use a cheapo pour spout from the motor oil section of Walmart. It works just fine until the weather gets really cold.

BarOilSpout.gif

For cold weather pouring, I use the wide mouth laundry detergent bottles. Works great!

Reactions: D8Chumley
TreePointer said:
I use a cheapo pour spout from the motor oil section of Walmart. It works just fine until the weather gets really cold.

BarOilSpout.gif

For cold weather pouring, I use the wide mouth laundry detergent bottles. Works great!

Yea that oil is starting to look like making cotton candy right now!

CountryBoy19 said:

Get yourself a 1 quart gear-oil bottle. You know, the ones with the little squeeze nozzle on the end, and the cap that snaps over it?
949-VV825.jpg

Keep your oil in this, I've found that 1 quart of oil is plenty for any 1 trip I make to the woods. The absolute best thing about these bottles is that you just squeeze the oil in, No messes, no waiting for the thick oil to pour in, very few strings etc. If you knock the bottle over, the tiny nozzle prevent it from going all over, at most you'll get a couple drips before you get it picked back up. This will rapidly speed up your oil refill time, and greatly decrease your "oops, made a mess" occurrences.

I like that idea a lot. Easier than lugging the gallon jug and a funnel up to the woods behind the house.

Skier76 said:
CountryBoy19 said:

949-VV825.jpg

I like that idea a lot. Easier than lugging the gallon jug and a funnel up to the woods behind the house.

LOL Try squeezing that out of the bottle this time of year!

smokinjay said:
I do it all the time. The good thing about those bottles is that you can cut the nozzle hole to your own custom tailored size (within the limits) So you can cut the hole bigger. I 100% guarantee you that I can squeeze the oil out of that bottle into a saw faster than you could pour it out of any other bottle (same saw, same oil, same temperature).

ETA, and I'd make fewer messes doing it.

You can probably refill saws just as fast as that bottle could, and you could probably refill saws with just as few messes as that bottle makes, but you absolutely can't do them both at the same time. You either go fast and make a mess, or go slow and don't make a mess. With that bottle you can still go fast without making a mess.

CountryBoy19 said:
smokinjay said:
I do it all the time. The good thing about those bottles is that you can cut the nozzle hole to your own custom tailored size (within the limits) So you can cut the hole bigger. I 100% guarantee you that I can squeeze the oil out of that bottle into a saw faster than you could pour it out of any other bottle (same saw, same oil, same temperature).

Heck its getting hard to pour it out of a gallon jug right now....But if it works roll with it!

smokinjay said:
CountryBoy19 said:
smokinjay said:

Heck its getting hard to pour it out of a gallon jug right now....But if it works roll with it!

That's the point I was trying to make. It doesn't matter how cold it gets, the viscosity of the oil is going to decrease no matter what bottle it is in. But the one thing that doesn't change is that forcefully squeezing it out of the bottle will always be faster than letting it free-flow, even though the squeeze bottle has a smaller nozzle.

CountryBoy19 said:
smokinjay said:
CountryBoy19 said:
smokinjay said:

That's the point I was trying to make. It doesn't matter how cold it gets, the viscosity of the oil is going to decrease no matter what bottle it is in. But the one thing that doesn't change is that forcefully squeezing it out of the bottle will always be faster than letting it free-flow, even though the squeeze bottle has a smaller nozzle.

You can squeze on a gallon jug (Your going to need to in this weather) with a bigger opening. The idea looks Good for summer.

some really good ideas here, think sometime I might try to change up what I've been doing.

Currently I just dump the gallon jug in the general direction of the reservoir. most of it makes it in, but a lot doesn't, I clean my saws up really nicely once a year, so it's no big deal. Now gas, that's something that is a PITA. I DON"T like fuel spilling all over the place.

That bottle is kind of what I was thinking of when I said sports bottle. I was thinking of using a ketchup or mustard squirt bottle, but that looks perfect.

If you cut the bar oil with alittle used motor oil, won't that help with the winter vicocity?

basswidow said:
That bottle is kind of what I was thinking of when I said sports bottle. I was thinking of using a ketchup or mustard squirt bottle, but that looks perfect.

If you cut the bar oil with alittle used motor oil, won't that help with the winter vicocity?
I guess so... or you could just use wintergrade oil too...

Either way... I really don't have that much of a problem with the bar oil coming out even when it's pretty cold. If your hands are strong enough to cut, split, stack firewood then they should be strong enough to squeeze this bottle full of cold bar oil.

ETA, one more thing... if it's too cold out for me to effectively squeeze the oil out of the bottle, then I'm not going to be outside anyways because it's too cold for me...

CountryBoy19 said:
basswidow said:

I guess so... or you could just use wintergrade oil too...

Either way... I really don't have that much of a problem with the bar oil coming out even when it's pretty cold. If your hands are strong enough to cut, split, stack firewood then they should be strong enough to squeeze this bottle full of cold bar oil.

ETA, one more thing... if it's too cold out for me to effectively squeeze the oil out of the bottle, then I'm not going to be outside anyways because it's too cold for me...

Guess I am just needing more time on a saw I will get the hang of it.

smokinjay said:
lol, yeah, ya stinkin' rookie.

Danno77 said:
smokinjay said:
lol, yeah, ya stinkin' rookie.

That bottle would not top off my saw...lol

Status
Not open for further replies.