Bar Recomendations

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkinNC

Minister of Fire
Oct 3, 2010
Leicester, NC
I have been wanting to get a 16 inch bar for my older Husky that is the same size as the one on my 346xp. I looked at Baileys thinking maybe I could save a little money buying online. I am not familiar with a lot of the brands on there (arbormax, windsor, carlton). It seems as if most people sell Oregon brand stuff around here. Any recommendations on what bar to lean towards and stay away from will be greatly appreciated.

If your price shopping, the arbormax or carlton (if it is a tsumara, it is a very good bar at a cheap price) will be fine....if not grab the windsor.

I've seen the other brands there & elsewhere also,dont know a thing about them except Carlton chain,bars & files have been around almost as long as Oregon.Their files are good,just picked up a dozen last week.I recommend Oregon Double Guard for your Husky,Power Match Plus if it will be getting heavier use.If money is no object,Cannon Bars of Langley,B.C.Canada is world-renowned for having the world's best bars.Quite pricey I noticed though.

My NE346XP came with a narrow kerf (NK) Husqvarna branded .325, .050, 16" bar. If your bar says Husqvarna on it, it's very likely an Oregon bar.

If you're trying to keep your saw as light as possible (or balanced), bear in mind that a regular Carlton bar should be noticeably heavier than an Oregon/Husqvarna NK bar.

(Some people are picky and keep track of ounces.)

Thanks for the replies everybody. I prefer heavier duty over lighter duty.

@ Treepointer: I researched what a narrow kerf bar was after my post on my new saw. I am not worried about the weight. I appreciate the help though.

MarkinNC said:

@ Treepointer: I researched what a narrow kerf bar was after my post on my new saw. I am not worried about the weight. I appreciate the help though.

Narrow kerf means your cutting through less wood less drag and there fore a faster saw.

MarkinNC said:

Sorry for my brevity. I meant that if you wanted the same type of bar as what came with your 346XP, note that it may be a narrow kerf bar and to look for one of those, which you may have trouble finding in all brands. If you were happy with the Husqvarna branded bar, then you should be able to find the same bar with the Oregon name on it. As smokinjay mentioned, you might notice a difference if you put something other than a NK bar with NK chain on it. BTW, my original chain was also NK (Husqvarna H30 aka Oregon 95VP).

The point about the weight and balance was something I added because some had mentioned the Carlton bar. It's usually not a big deal to me, but it matters to some people.

One other thing on the carlton bars from baileys.....the non tsumara bars are known to have a bit of a finish issue. When they are first used, some of the laminate melts and makes a bit of a mess a long the rails that needs cleaned up. Some don't care because of the super cheap price.

TreePointer said:
MarkinNC said:

Sorry for my brevity. I meant that if you wanted the same type of bar as what came with your 346XP, note that it may be a narrow kerf bar and to look for one of those, which you may have trouble finding in all brands. If you were happy with the Husqvarna branded bar, then you should be able to find the same bar with the Oregon name on it. As smokinjay mentioned, you might notice a difference if you put something other than a NK bar with NK chain on it. BTW, my original chain was also NK (Husqvarna H30 aka Oregon 95VP).

The point about the weight and balance was something I added because some had mentioned the Carlton bar. It's usually not a big deal to me, but it matters to some people.

I see your point now. I initially thought you were recommending a lighter bar than I have. I went and looked and it is a Husqvarna branded .325 .50 16 inch bar that came on the saw. It seems to work fine but I have less than one tank of gas through it. I think I may be over thinking this. It's not like I am going to be doing a lot of heavy cutting with it, maxing out the saw all the time. Perhaps I should focus on the super quality bar for my 372xp?

Digressing a bit, the Stihl chain that 346xp came with is awesome.

Thanks again everyone!

I have the Oregon on my 372XP, and am pretty happy with it, a fair amount of use and when I stopped at the shop to get my chains done it was still pretty close to new (minus the finish, of course!).

moosetrek said:
I have the Oregon on my 372XP, and am pretty happy with it, a fair amount of use and when I stopped at the shop to get my chains done it was still pretty close to new (minus the finish, of course!).

Thats why I like the stihl es bars they hold there finnish better than any bar out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.