barefoot pellets(tried them)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bfgmt

Feb 22, 2010
maine
From what I have read on this forum and from many other reviews it seems to be that barefoot are a great pellet. I am in coastal Maine near Augusta and the best price so far is 260.00 a ton is this a good price or can I do better if i wait till later in the summer?

Thats what I paid including delivery last fall before prices came down so I would hope you could find them cheaper today but your area may be different than NH/VT.

I would buy them before they start to go up. I dont think they will get much cheaper. Unless I'm wrong, crude crossed the 80 bucks a barrell threshhold. Once the public and traders let that sink in for a while (been creeping up for about 2 weeks) then they will slow try to push it up to 90 bucks. Baby steps this time, not like 2008. They want the price to rise in a way that doesnt scare folks as much...the slow march of the Ents on the way to triple digit oil per barrell

I just bought 3 tons delivered for $890. That's about $6 per bag. I really like Barefoots as they burn clean and hot.

The place I buy from also had ACPs for $200 per ton, had to pass on those.

bfgmt said:
From what I have read on this forum and from many other reviews it seems to be that barefoot are a great pellet. I am in coastal Maine near Augusta and the best price so far is 260.00 a ton is this a good price or can I do better if i wait till later in the summer?

Not a terrible price for great pellets. Best price I see near me is $299.

If you have the $$ right now, I think I'd grab as many as you need for next winter.

260.00 is not a bad price . i would grab them

Checked back with my supplier... currently $264.

thats a helluva deal at 260/ ton... we currently sell them at 285/ton: if we sold 'em at 260/ton, we would make just enough to cover the overhead and show a profit of about 75 cents a bag. I would question about whether these bags are some how damaged, been sitting around a while, etc before you buy them, just to crack into them next winter and find they have damage of some sort.

Always pays to shop around.
Seems like the prices are all over the place in this region for some brands.

Locally, I have seen them range from $249-299 a ton, all within a 30 mile radius...something
wrong with that picture IMO but that is another page.

i bought two tons for next year at 239.00 a ton

The closer you get to the manufacturers town the lower the price is. Shipping costs really determines the end price, and with fuel going up so will the cost.

Anyone know who sells barefoots in NH. New Durham (next to Alton) area? Id like to try some of these.

gbreda said:
Anyone know who sells barefoots in NH. New Durham (next to Alton) area? Id like to try some of these.

G,

Here is a link to fill out, They will send you info on a dealer near you.

http://www.barefootpellet.com/dealerlocation.html

I promise you will like these very much. One of the best pellets I have burned!

jay

I know this isn't near you, but have found two prices in PA.

Hamburg, PA - Mtn. View Supply....$239 a ton.

Ronks, PA - Leacock Coleman Center.....$285 a ton.

Ronks is closer to me. Plan on going up on Sat to get a couple of bags to try.

Just drove a 20 min. to buy a bag of barefoots I couldn't get anyone closer that had a open pallet end of season they said as soon as the green teams are gone I'll put them in and get the stove set up to burn them.its getting way to hot in here during the day I have the windows open and its still 80 in here!!

I don't mind spending the extra money for the barefoot pellets especially if they have a higher heat output (higher heat= higher BTU's =less pellets or a warmer house) correct me if I'm wrong, that just seems to me how it would work except on the lowest setting of 1 than it would just = warmer house

Wow - The folks at barefoot got back to me with a dealer on Long Island, and he will do $280 a tone delivered... I think I'll make room for a ton.

Carl

I have to tell you the difference is night and day between barefoot and others at least for the last few hours, the flame has a pretty blueish green color at the bottom and a high yellow flame above that (actually it may be to high) on the #1 setting it burns good except every once in a while it seems like it is going to go out but than it picks right up on 2 it isn't to bad at all i guess this is common with this stove I am going to call tomorrow and see what they suggest for settings so far I have tried 5-4-1, 4-5-1, 4-6-1,5-6-1,but none have helped so I put it back to the factory 6-4-1, maybe I should be adjusting the restrictor plate instead of the settings

bfgmt said:
I have to tell you the difference is night and day between barefoot and others at least for the last few hours, the flame has a pretty blueish green color at the bottom and a high yellow flame above that (actually it may be to high) on the #1 setting it burns good except every once in a while it seems like it is going to go out but than it picks right up on 2 it isn't to bad at all i guess this is common with this stove I am going to call tomorrow and see what they suggest for settings so far I have tried 5-4-1, 4-5-1, 4-6-1,5-6-1,but none have helped so I put it back to the factory 6-4-1, maybe I should be adjusting the restrictor plate instead of the settings

If you are concerned about flame height and want to reduce it is likely you should back off on both the feed rate and air, or the feed rate, however you don't want to add more air.

Remember to wait between the changes so the stove stabilizes, this can take sometime depending on magnitude of the change.

Any place somewhat close to Bangor ME that sells them?

Status
Not open for further replies.