Barefoot Pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pelletkrzd

Jan 2, 2010
northwest NJ
Have burnt barefoots in the past but seem to be different this year. Anyone else have same problem. Dont know how I can explain it almost seems like ash becomes crystalized in burn pot. Not quite as hard as a clinker. Have used barefoots for two seasons prior and this is first time i have noticed this issue. Father in law has same complaint also----any ideas out there.

pelletkrzd said:
Have burnt barefoots in the past but seem to be different this year. Anyone else have same problem. Dont know how I can explain it almost seems like ash becomes crystalized in burn pot. Not quite as hard as a clinker. Have used barefoots for two seasons prior and this is first time i have noticed this issue. Father in law has same complaint also----any ideas out there.

Did you both buy the pellets at the same place?

We used Barefoots our first season, 2 years ago, then last year tried the LG's and they were no good. This year we're back with the Barefoots and they seem even better than 2 years ago.

No complaints here.

Shortstuff,

What were your issues that made you dislike the LG Granules pellets?

Thanks,

Ranger

I've burned Barefoot in the past and burning them this year again.
They are burning as good as they always have for me.

I'm betting its moisture. But could be a batch gone wrong. Don't ever hear much bad about barefoots though. I have a few buds that don't burn nothing but.

Have you tried the microwave or moisture test on them?

the old ranger said:
Shortstuff,

What were your issues that made you dislike the LG Granules pellets?

Thanks,

Ranger

We wanted to try softwood so I tried the Granules LG last year. They came poorly protected from the elements to start with and almost a dozen bags (out of 3 tons) were ruined. Then throughout the season we found at least a dozen more bags that had moist areas. The LG's had at least 3 to 4 times the fines in the bags and 3 to 4 times the ash burning which made cleaning more frequent. The LG's gave good heat, but could not compare to the Barefoots which are much better IMO.

I've been burning the Barefoots as well. I will agree to an extent. I have multiple batches of Barefoots. Some were purchased locally and some were purchased in PA. Production dates are all different. I have noticed a higher ash content then usual in some in cases. Seems like the late 2009 run on Barefoots are giving me less ash. I am also burning Okanagan and in comparison the Okies are far better in my stove. Less ash and higher heat. It's amazing on how clean they burn. I barely need to tend to the stove and clean the pot. I am still very happy with the Barefoots, I'll admit I am going to Okies next year!

I'm having the same problem as Burning Chunk. Not as hard as a clinker but crystalized stuff that sticks all over the burn pot. Every day you have to remove and scrap the stuff off becasue it clogs the holes. I must also add that we vacum our pellets so it must be in the pellet itself. We have a ST Croix and have burnt Lignetics in the past and never even had a clinker. The Barefoots don't produce as much ash which is good and give off good heat but what the heck is in them that is causeing this ? Could it be moisture? I have also noticed this disel smell coming from outside out our vent when I have the stove on high , kind of scary any clues?

So many people having the same problem this year but with different pellets.

What is the common denominator here?

JoeS said:
So many people having the same problem this year but with different pellets.

What is the common denominator here?

Honestly, I feel I have a little something to do with it. My testing has got more people burning the better(higher density) stuff. Without compensating for the extra density. Things like this happen. When burning higher density pellets you need to increase the combustion air or decrease the amount of pellets(with feed trim for the stoves that have it) feed into the burnpot. And or both in some cases.

You can blame me if you like! :down:

I'm having the same problem as Burning Chunk. Not as hard as a clinker but crystalized stuff that sticks all over the burn pot. Every day you have to remove and scrap the stuff off becasue it clogs the holes. I must also add that we vacum our pellets so it must be in the pellet itself. We have a ST Croix and have burnt Lignetics in the past and never even had a clinker. The Barefoots don't produce as much ash which is good and give off good heat but what the heck is in them that is causeing this ? Could it be moisture? I have also noticed this disel smell coming from outside out our vent when I have the stove on high , kind of scary any clues? I've included a picture so you can see what I'm actually talking about.

Attachments

• burn pot with Barefoot pellets 001.jpg
    burn pot with Barefoot pellets 001.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 711
  • burn pot with Barefoot pellets 001.jpg
    burn pot with Barefoot pellets 001.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 693
j-takeman said:
I'm betting its moisture. But could be a batch gone wrong. Don't ever hear much bad about barefoots though. I have a few buds that don't burn nothing but.

how do you test them?

bigdaddyste said:
j-takeman said:

how do you test them?

Another member stoveguy2esw gave us this.
a sampling in a microwave in a glass bowl would tell the tale, under out of the elements conditions pellets can survive a few years without much trouble especialy if they are still coccooned in the origional wraps. to test simply take about a half cup of pellets , put in a GLASS not plastic bowl, cover with a saucer and nuke em for about 45 seconds in a microwave oven. immediatly after the microwave stops take the saucer off the top and turn it on end , if the moisture content is enough to allow water to drip down the saucer they are moist enough that they will probably clinker up badly, if not then they should be ok to use.

Also check here for what not to do!

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/64462/

First year with Barefoots and I am having the same problem - burn pot fills up with clinkers and soot daily. I have to shut the stove down every day to clear the burpot. I had some leftover Lignetics which I just switched to and so far have not had the same problem. Looks like I have 2 tons of headaches. I am going to burn the Lignetics for about a week in order to validate this observation.

No one mentions the date code. Mine are 1-10. And im having no problems... Barefoots have been good consistently for me. Sorry to hear your having problems with them, you should check with your dealers...

My date code is 1/10. This supplier stored them outside probably for many months because I purchased them after the heating season in the summer of 2010. They were wrapped in the factory materials - stretch wrap holding them together with a heavy ply plastic cover over the pallet. I may try the moisture test today. I will keep you posted on the outcome of the Lignetics.

Cold here in SE PA. Two days ago woke up to 3F, -17C. Stove has been working like a champ and keeping the main part of the house at 72F. Mark

Our Barefoots are still doing great, date code is 06/08.

Status
Not open for further replies.