barely loose maul head question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joel95ex

Nov 3, 2010
NE TX
I have an old but nearly mint condition craftsmen maul. works great, but the head is a tiny bit loose.... the end already has the original wedge in it, would soaking in water tighten this up? the handle is in great shape, but it was sitting around for about 30 years.. What should I do? Don't think I want to/need to replace handle or put a nail in it. it appears to have a wood wedge and a small metal "wedge" or horse shoe nail in it.

I don't think I would use water. Maybe linseed oil. It wouldn't hurt it to drive in another wedge. That would be the sure fix.

I agree with Jags, drive in another metal wedge. They are available at hardware stores etc. I had to use 3 metal wedges in the NEW handle I bought for my maul before I was satisfied that it was tight enough. (the handle only came with one metal and one wooden wedge)

Agreed. Do NOT soak the head/new handle in water.It will tighten up some sure,but will contract & shrink even more once it dries to current humidity level,making it looser than before.Either put in another steel wedge (at right angle to the fat poplar wedge in that slot) if that dont help,soak in linseed oil does the trick.

ditto on the wedges.
Dont know if this works, have never tried it, but I heard this from an old timer. To keep it tight for the long haul, dill a hole in the handle, about 1/2 diameter and 4 inches deep, the long way in the handle obviously. fill it up with linseed oil. add a cork and cut if off flush with the end. the oil is supposed to go into the fibers and go the long direction, like tree sap, and kkeep the entire handle from shrinking and keep it less brittle. refill it every couple years I think.

Edit: the hole is in the handle far end, not the head end. The cork is only the last half inch or so, to hold the oil in li kcjke a little reservoir with a plug on the end. Oil is not stored in the cork. . I can see why the comments below, no the hole is NOT in the head end, that for sure would weaken it. The theory is the oil wicks through the fibers the long way of the wood just like the sap did. for a long time.

Like most 'old tales' it makes sense, and could be right or totally placebo effect.

k

After the linseed oil, coat the entire handle with it before you put it away for a long time. It will help to preserve.

I had a handle once that was loose and needed some wedges. Sure I had some but couldn't find any at the time and didn't want to wait. So, I just grabbed a 3/8" washer and drove that in. That was some time ago and all is still well with it!

Plus everybody. Boiled linseed oil should be specified though. Raw linseed takes forever and a day to dry and is best reserved for use as an ingredient. Never heard of the cork idea, not sure I like it too much. What I do is to soak the tool, head down, in oil for two weeks, wipe, allow to dry, provides a cure which lasts for years.

I'm leery of the cork idea myself.You drill a 1/2" hole 4 inches long in that handle,you're gonna weaken it for sure.There's no strength in that soft cork.Only way to avoid it is fill hole with epoxy,but that obviously defeats your original purpose.

oops, edited above. the hole is in the far end, the end of the handle, NOT in the head end. That for sure would weaken it. seemed obvious to me after reading comments that it sounded really dumb the way I originally wrote it. k

Status
Not open for further replies.