Bargain shopping for Englander 30-NC (Summer's Heat, etc)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DCS

Apr 8, 2013
Oregon
Has anyone seen any deals so far this year on the Englander 30 stove?

For those who are new to this stove, the Englander 30-NCH = Summers Heat 50-SNC30 = Timber Ridge 50-TNC30. Same stove.

HD currently has it for $899 plus shipping.
Lowes has it for $1149 shipped to store free.
I didn't find any mention of it on Sutherlands website.

Last year there was a $650 deal out of a HD store in VA, but I haven't seen anything like that this year, Did I miss it already?

Anyone got any hints or suggestions?

Thx!

I was amazed when that HD thing showed up a second time. The only thing I can figure is that HD had committed for a fixed quantity at a price for the season and didn't sell enough. Since the stoves shipped from the ESW plant, not HD.

Surly their purchasing department smartened up after the second time.

Yeah, I agree with BB. The $649 shipped HD deal was too good to last. The NT Drolet deal was close, if you did in-store pickup. . .looks like it's back up to $899 now. That isn't a bad price for any decent 3-cu-ft stove, but you have all spring and summer to catch another sale.:)

the drolet myriad appears to be a very well made stove, some of the highlight/differences from the englander:
  • c-cast baffle (heavy duty piece)
  • true north-south loader (thats how it was designed)
  • large ash pan
  • bypass damper for startup
  • does not have the branding iron latch mechanism the 30 has (less chance of burning yourself)
  • no r rating for floor protection (only requires non-combustible surface)
  • 6" rear clearance with dw pipe
i would wait to see if northern tool puts it back on sale, i will post a bunch of pics when i get a chance but wont be burning with it till fall

i was waiting for the 30 sale too but I got a feeling thats a thing of the past and grabbed the myriad at a good price

Reactions: raybonz
the drolet myriad appears to be a very well made stove, some of the highlight/differences from the englander:
  • c-cast baffle (heavy duty piece)
  • true north-south loader (thats how it was designed)
  • large ash pan
  • bypass damper for startup
  • does not have the branding iron latch mechanism the 30 has (less chance of burning yourself)
  • no r rating for floor protection (only requires non-combustible surface)
  • 6" rear clearance with dw pipe
i would wait to see if northern tool puts it back on sale, i will post a bunch of pics when i get a chance but wont be burning with it till fall

i was waiting for the 30 sale too but I got a feeling thats a thing of the past and grabbed the myriad at a good price
Congrats I look forward to the pics that stove sounds like a winner! I added your stove to my ember protection only list.. Is this stove also available with legs?

Ray

It was a normal winter vs last year's very warm winter. HD probably sold enough stoves to satisfy the requirement.

Matt

They do on in-store items, but you first have to find a store with one of these on the shelf. That's a tall order anymore. I did find one, but it was almost 2000 miles away, and they do not offer any between store shipping. No stores with 200 miles of my house even stock woodstoves! It's all online sales drop-shipped from a manufacturer or warehouse.

They do on in-store items, but you first have to find a store with one of these on the shelf. That's a tall order anymore. I did find one, but it was almost 2000 miles away, and they do not offer any between store shipping. No stores with 200 miles of my house even stock woodstoves! It's all online sales drop-shipped from a manufacturer or warehouse.

It looks like the HD in Redmond (#4032) has 3 30-NCs in stock. With shipping, it comes to $875, which is only $25 cheaper than from HD. But, I'd have to drive 3+ hours one way to get to redmond.

I tried online to get them to match the price but wouldn't. They said for it to match they had to be the same stove (wouldnt budge since the brand name is different even though they are the same).

Oh yeah, and I opened an account w/ HD for the 18 months no interest and placed my order to pick up in store. They come back an hour later cancelling my order because of fraud protection. They said that you can't open an account and place a pick up in store order until you recieve your card.

I have a local HD with the NC30 in stock...Ill have to try there to see if they'll match.

I was amazed when that HD thing showed up a second time. The only thing I can figure is that HD had committed for a fixed quantity at a price for the season and didn't sell enough. Since the stoves shipped from the ESW plant, not HD.

Surly their purchasing department smartened up after the second time.

I got the $649 deal a couple seasons ago and while I set in the recliner and savor the view of my Woodstock Keystone, when I set in front of my 30NCH, I savor the smell of $$$'s saved and with legs, the stove ain't half bad to view either... ;)

Reactions: Danno77 and raybonz
Im now a new owner of an NC-30...replacing my old Alaska Kodiak. Pretty excited to pick it up!

I was hoping to get a HD deal but decided to bite the bullet and purchase regular price. That's ok though...18months no interest, $400 rebate from my state (if still available) and $300 biomass tax credit (I think that is right) makes it a pretty nice deal :)

Im now a new owner of an NC-30...replacing my old Alaska Kodiak. Pretty excited to pick it up!

Here's yer shirt.

englander t shirt.jpg

Awesome freaking stove. If I had it to do over, I wouldn't change a thing.

I did a burn in the driveway, that got a little out, but it was hard to get the stove hot without proper chimney hooked to it. I have a lot of windows in my stove room, so I just opened them up when it got bad. Once installed, I did progressively larger burns over about three days. I don't remember the smell being overwhelming, but my family did complain a little.

I was just wondering because Im going to have to call some people to help unload, then assemble, burn, and get people back to help move it in the house. Mine will be going in an unfinished basement and thought Id wait until the family was out of the house, open the windows and use some fans.

Just curious, how bad is the smell this thing puts off on the initial burn?

I did my initial burn on my patio outside. I stuck a couple pieces of stove pipe on it and the thing burnt great - inspite of the short stack. Once I brought it in - any smell was pretty much gone.

Great stove you got.

Good luck,
Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.