Bark. A question just out of curiosity

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jdp, I like your profile pic, nice stacks you got there.

My wife disagrees. I'm in the process of moving them to the back of my house currently to line a field that my elderly neighbors hardly maintain. I'm hopeful they act as a windblock to prevent the weeds from getting into my yard. The wife does like the wood stack fence look. Just need about 4 more cords to complete it!

No idea about ash build up...I'm sure someone here has done a few tests. I do know it results in easier hiding of bugs and more clinkers for clean out.

I have also heard that bark contributes ash buildup but have not heard if that's true or not.

If the bark is loose, it comes off easily during splitting. Otherwise, it goes on the stack and usually loosens by the time the wood's ready to burn. I use the heaviest plates of douglas fir bark (3/4 in. thick) as ground cover under my stacks, adding a new layer each year. I just discovered that it burns very well in my chimnea, along with the splitter driblings. Long burning and plentiful, a waste product has now become fuel.:)

View attachment 102271

I like your porch setup!

Status
Not open for further replies.