Bark ID Site?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bacffin

Minister of Fire
Yeah just post pics here, clear close up and one log at a time per pic

I wouldn't count on identifying trees soley based on bark. Bark is variable and there are lots of trees with similar bark. It is a lot easier to learn trees the old fashioned way, by looking at bark, twigs, leaves, and if available the fruits or nuts of the tree. The overall shape and growth habit of the tree is also useful, but like the bark is variable and takes experience to use for identification.

My suggestion is that leaves are the first thing to examine, twigs, second, bark third. If you can find leaves, twigs, and bark then you probably have a lock on the ID.

I'd start by learning the trees in your neighborhood. You have to go one at a time, in my experience learning trees, shrubs, birds, etc. It is always tough at first then gets easier.

I agree with wood duck here. Leaves are the biggest tell but all aspects of growth and appearance come together for a confident ID. The one thing that would be great for us is some pics and description of the wood on one of these sites. Color, grain pattern, heartwood/sap wood distinctions, etc. All these sites are run by tree huggers who take pics of live, standing trees. We need cut and split trees! I guess that's why we have The Hearth.

Also, don't just look at the one tree you want identified. Look at the entire wooded area. What are the prominent species ? are they evenly scattered ? By looking at the entire area you may be able to narrow your guesses down real quick.

Wood duck is right, identifying by bark alone can be very difficult or impossible at times, geography, environment, stresses on individual trees, location of the bark on the tree, and just the individuality of each tree can make the bark of a species vary greatly . Some bark pics make for slam dunk id's and some not so much. But if inam curious about the bark or leaves of a tree, google it and look at the google images, for example google "white oak bark" and look at the image result, you will see dozens of pics of white oak bark. Really helps rule out or confirm you id.

Thanks for all the reponses. It is obvious to me the learning curve is years of experience. I have started to post pics of a grapple (my first ever) load I just received to id this stuff. I have been using this site for id using leaves, but the grapple load does not have leaves. I will be calling on you folks again!

Humble regards,
Bruce
http://www.oplin.org/tree/leaf/byleaf.html

Status
Not open for further replies.