1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

BARK....toss it or burn it?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by DavidV, Dec 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DavidV

DavidV New Member

Loc:
    Richmond VA
    When I am processing my firewood, I do most of the splitting and recutting near the bottom of the "treehouse" tree. this creates a natural supply of mulch beneath the the tree. When I am pulling dried firewood from the stack, the bark will often fall off. Sometimes I toss it over under the treehouse and sometimes I put it on the firewood cart and take it inside and burn it. This is mostly oak bark and I am wondering what others do. It burns pretty good and contributes to getting things hot usually before the rest of the wood catches. I've wondered if it creates more ash than the rest of the wood. And naturally, I wonder what everyone else does with theirs.

David

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Mike Wilson

Mike Wilson New Member

Loc:
    Orient Point, NY
    I burn it for kindling or to help things get hot if I've been away for awhile. Works fine, so long as its dry.

-- Mike
  3. Eric Johnson

Eric Johnson Mod Emeritus

Loc:
    Central NYS
    What Mike said.
  4. bruce

bruce Member

Loc:
    long pond pa
    pile it all for mulch and planting
  5. Roospike

Roospike New Member

Loc:
    Eastern Nebraska
    What bark come off in the process of cutting stays there. When splitting it and it falls off it go in the garden . When it get stacked for the year ........then brought up to the house the next year it and falls off it goes in a huge wooden box to be burnt in the shop. If its lucky to make it in the house it goes in the stove .
  6. bruce56bb

bruce56bb New Member

Loc:
    Flint Hills of Kansas
    i would rather have it fall off...keeps the house a lot cleaner when carrying it in.
    YES.....i'm no longer a firestarter...... i think i'll have a drink on that!!!!
  7. Roospike

Roospike New Member

Loc:
    Eastern Nebraska
    That would be nice.........(No bark and the drink) I bring my wood in the house with a 2' rubbermaid container and put it all in a bigger rubbermaid. Back to the smaller rubbermaid to go to the stove.
  8. fbelec

fbelec Minister of Fire

Loc:
    northern massachusetts
    i've noticed the bark smokes more. wouldn't that dirty the chimney?
  9. Corey

Corey Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Midwest
    Burn it! Good for firestarter / kindling / fast-hot fires. As far as more smoke...I think the ratio of bark to "real wood" is so small that the slight bit of extra smoke makes no noticeable difference in flue cleanlieness...at least in my case.

Corey
  10. Rick

Rick Member

Loc:
    Connecticut
    I fall into the "if it makes it into the house it gets burned" category.

Rick
  11. wg_bent

wg_bent Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    I found a small stash of black locust and the bark on that stuff is really thick. Like, close to 2 inches. And when you remove it....WoW...It stinks. I decided to remove it from the wood, first: cause it was easy, and second: since the logs would season faster without it.

The wood pile smelled bad for a week. Nice wood though. Splits easy.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.