BARK....toss it or burn it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidV

Nov 20, 2005
Richmond VA
When I am processing my firewood, I do most of the splitting and recutting near the bottom of the "treehouse" tree. this creates a natural supply of mulch beneath the the tree. When I am pulling dried firewood from the stack, the bark will often fall off. Sometimes I toss it over under the treehouse and sometimes I put it on the firewood cart and take it inside and burn it. This is mostly oak bark and I am wondering what others do. It burns pretty good and contributes to getting things hot usually before the rest of the wood catches. I've wondered if it creates more ash than the rest of the wood. And naturally, I wonder what everyone else does with theirs.

David

What Mike said.

What bark come off in the process of cutting stays there. When splitting it and it falls off it go in the garden . When it get stacked for the year ........then brought up to the house the next year it and falls off it goes in a huge wooden box to be burnt in the shop. If its lucky to make it in the house it goes in the stove .

i would rather have it fall off...keeps the house a lot cleaner when carrying it in.
YES.....i'm no longer a firestarter...... i think i'll have a drink on that!!!!

bruce56bb said:
i would rather have it fall off...keeps the house a lot cleaner when carrying it in.
YES.....i'm no longer a firestarter...... i think i'll have a drink on that!!!!
That would be nice.........(No bark and the drink) I bring my wood in the house with a 2' rubbermaid container and put it all in a bigger rubbermaid. Back to the smaller rubbermaid to go to the stove.

i've noticed the bark smokes more. wouldn't that dirty the chimney?

Burn it! Good for firestarter / kindling / fast-hot fires. As far as more smoke...I think the ratio of bark to "real wood" is so small that the slight bit of extra smoke makes no noticeable difference in flue cleanlieness...at least in my case.

Corey

I fall into the "if it makes it into the house it gets burned" category.

Rick

I found a small stash of black locust and the bark on that stuff is really thick. Like, close to 2 inches. And when you remove it....WoW...It stinks. I decided to remove it from the wood, first: cause it was easy, and second: since the logs would season faster without it.

The wood pile smelled bad for a week. Nice wood though. Splits easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.