Barometric damper shoots out smoke into my house

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alan Read

Nov 14, 2012
I have recently installed a Ardent 101 furnace and am noticing puffs of smoke shooting from the barometric damper. I have added another foot to my chimney and installed a fresh air vent that goes right to stoves air intake. Any idea what's wrong ?

Cold chimney to start- insufficient draft, insufficient air supply-not running hot enough or throttling back to soon, wet wood as in moisture content above 20% in the middle of split, barometric damper installed in horizontal flue pipe. possible problem with self regulating air intake( never been a fan of these as most use a bi-metalic coil that never seem to work correctly)
If the unit is huffing solid indication of insufficient combustion air supply. The kicker here is the self regulating damper on the combustion air in take.

Status
Not open for further replies.