Barometric Draft setting: H or V when on angled flue that is neither H or V?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Monaco

Burning Hunk
Sep 13, 2015
Indiana
Do I set the barometric draft to H or V when my flue is somewhere near a 45-degree angle?

Last edited:
I don't think it really makes much difference. I have tried it both ways on a vertical install, worked the same either way

What are you guys talking about? The orientation of the barometric damper? Doesn't it have to be horizontal for the counterbalance on the flapper to work right?
20151101_071928_resized.jpg

What are you guys talking about? The orientation of the barometric damper? Doesn't it have to be horizontal for the counterbalance on the flapper to work right?View attachment 165752
On other brands (Fields) the little sliding weight can be mounted on the left or right side of its bracket, it is labeled H or V. As I understand it you are supposed to move the weight to the appropriate side depending on if you have the baro mounted in a section of vertical or horizontal pipe. Like I said before, mine was in a vert pipe, seems to work the same with the weight on either side...

Reactions: Monaco
On other brands (Fields) the little sliding weight can be mounted on the left or right side of its bracket, it is labeled H or V. As I understand it you are supposed to move the weight to the appropriate side depending on if you have the baro mounted in a section of vertical or horizontal pipe. Like I said before, mine was in a vert pipe, seems to work the same with the weight on either side...

Exactly my scenario. It has two sides, I put mine on H for horizontal, because it's probably closer to that than vertical. I'm very surprised the instructions don't mention this, when they even show an example diagram of it being installed on an angled flue.

Last edited:
I think I get it. I installed my damper in a tee and rotated it until it was horizontal.

Status
Not open for further replies.