BARREL IN BARREL

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
joe2003 said:
would this work, what are the problems with this sytle of owb ? 275 gallon inside a 800 gallon
what you are discribing is a very simplified OWB with little engineering that will burn smokey and burn LOTS of wood. There is lots of variations of these out there and they will not burn very clean as you are cooling the fire down so the gases can't get up to 1100* and burn so they go out the stack. Just remember, To burn clean and efficiant you have to get the gases at a temp of 1100* mixed with the right amount of air to burn and THEN you put the burnt gases thru a ht ex to heat the water. If you try and take the heat out before it's burnt you will just cool the fire and the gases will go out the stack and you will just be putting in more wood to go out the stack.
leaddog

I understand all that I was just asking on the concept of the barrels of course I would incorperate burn chamber 3/4 up back and across top before it goes out the flue.. I just wasnt sure if the inner barrel would hold up

Hello Joe
Nice to see another southern ohioan

If you mean will it burn then yes, if you mean will it gasify probably not....if it were to gasify then you will want that to happen in an area shielded by refactory brick as 1100* temp will make a mess out of steel, change the shape of it fast....not good. You may want to read the posts here from people who have designed/built their own gasser.....complex to say the least something I would not get into. However they seemed to enjoy their efforts & in some cases the results as well. When you say barrel if it is a standard oil/water barrel guage of metal then no way it will stand up, probably fail first heating season. Most designs like this use 7-10 guage metal & in some cases use Stainless to inhibit rust. If you are really considering an OWB style why not buy one of the old models from a manufacturer at what should be fire sale prices as more & more states are looking at total bans of these types of units they should be very cheap indeed. Better yet look at the manufactured gassers that are out there from established proven over time companies. Way better bang for your buck over time. Far less wood use per btu as well, your body will appreciate that.

Status
Not open for further replies.