base for a new woodburner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kk2002

Sep 30, 2008
western PA
Hi! New to this forum, though i have been lurking while I was trying to decide on a new woodburner. Today I bought the Englander 30 NC, it is being delivered on Saturday. Here is one little problem i have. My existing woodburner is 5 1/2 inches taller than the new one. So I either need another piece of pipe, which i did buy, or build a base of some sort to make it higher. I would like it to be higher, (don't have to bend over as far to put logs in!! LOL)

Any suggestions as to what or how to build something to handle the weight of it? I was think of stone, but like i said, i need to raise it up about 5 inches or so. Then I thought of building a frame and doing some kind of concrete?? I only have a few days to get this built, If anyone has pictures of anything like this i would appreciate it.

Keep in mind if you do a build up that the protection from combustibles in the hearth must be at least R 1.5. If wood studs are used, that will mean some combination of insulation like Micore, and cement board on top of them. I think you'll find the 6" extension pipe a lot easier in the short run.

Here ya go.

Attachments

• shopstove.jpg
    shopstove.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 147
Status
Not open for further replies.