Baseboard hot water heat and pellet stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackfire

Oct 24, 2014
Vermont
We have a 1700 square ft. home heated by gas hot water baseboard heat , well my gas bill , during winter is about $500.00/month , trying to save $ we installed a pellet stove , Englander EV25 which claims 2000 SqFt heating capabilites , after turning thermostats , upstairs and down to 50* , the EV25 keeps the place 55* up and about 70* down not bad i thought. So the question is , since the heating pipes are on the outside walls how do i keep these from freezing up any advice would be helpful.

That's been covered here several times. There are thermostats that periodically call for heat for a few minutes to keep the water in the pipes warm and circulating. Someone will chip in with the site of the 'stats, I can't recall it right now.

We have a 1700 square ft. home heated by gas hot water baseboard heat , well my gas bill , during winter is about $500.00/month , trying to save $ we installed a pellet stove , Englander EV25 which claims 2000 SqFt heating capabilites , after turning thermostats , upstairs and down to 50* , the EV25 keeps the place 55* up and about 70* down not bad i thought. So the question is , since the heating pipes are on the outside walls how do i keep these from freezing up any advice would be helpful.
Like I said in your other thread...do a search for the thermguard. It might be what youre looking for and you wont have to buy a new thermostat.

If it's a closed system, drain it completely and refill it with propoylene glycol (RV antifreeze) and a Ph stabilizer.My PEX system in my shop runs PG and I can shut it down without fear of freezing. You can purchase PG with inhibitors already added at Menards in 5 gallon pails.

I'm not sure why your baseboards would ever get down to 32 if you're stove is keeping the home 55 to 70.

Pipes run in outside walls and get really cold, can freeze. Depends on the construction and insulation.

Reactions: bogieb
Pipes run in outside walls and get really cold, can freeze. Depends on the construction and insulation.
Thanks. I can only go by my limited home ownership experience, and it just seemed illogical to me to build a home with the heating system outside of the home's insulation envelope, such that it could be colder than the actual home. Of course, you're right, construction isn't always logical.

Thanks. I can only go by my limited home ownership experience, and it just seemed illogical to me to build a home with the heating system outside of the home's insulation envelope, such that it could be colder than the actual home. Of course, you're right, construction isn't always logical.

Ahh, that is your mistake, thinking builders/contractors or even architects do things logically. They do things as cheaply as they can and just enough to fit any codes (or hide things if they think they can get away with it). Also, if something was built here in NH before say 1985, chances are there were no codes (or at least most towns didn't have any then) so it was a free-for-all. Okay, there are some good ones out there, but for those of us that can't afford much of a house, we will never even meet them, much less obtain anything built by them.

Status
Not open for further replies.