Baseboards to infloor radiant?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mr.fixit

Feeling the Heat
Dec 27, 2009
west central wi.
I am adding a hot water baseboard loop to my house system(currently using air plennum heat exchanger)I also have a small entry way with a 50 -60 ft. loop of pex in concrete currently on its own zone valve,mix valve and pump.My thought was (maybe I seen it here? can't recall)to run the floor loop at the end of the baseboard loop(20-25 ft.slantfin baseboard)eliminating 1 pump and mixing valve.Question is will there be enough temp drop through the baseboards (180* supply) so the concrete doesen't get to hot? The floor loop is so small even a small pump running seems like overkill.Has anyone measured temp. loss with baseboards?(Probably here if I searched deep enough).By the way the plennum HX stays in place for the below 0 days.I guess it might take some experimenting with the amount of baseboard to get the temp. drop needed. Thanks

If you sized the pump correctly to get the delta you wanted then yes you could do it, but an easier way is to use a mixing valve in the field. If you use a thermostatic mixing valve after the baseboard loop it will allow you to use outdoor reset on your baseboard, and keep a constant temp on the radiant. If you're clever you can fit the valve at the end of baseboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.