Basement Ceiling Soundproofing Options

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mass_burner

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2013
SE Mass
I'm looking to install sound/vibration proofing to my basement ceiling, any opinions? I know about rock wool but does that really work?

Micore is designed for sound isolation.

Music studio or dungeon / torture chamber? Just trying to understand what frequencies you're trying to block... :p

Music studio or dungeon / torture chamber? Just trying to understand what frequencies you're trying to block... :p

Music/TV and woodworking noises (including shouted expletives).

Reactions: WiscWoody
what you're going to want is any mass insulation between the joists, the denser the better and then 5/8 sheetrock on metal sound channel (preferably one 5/8 layer, sound channel, another 5/8 layer. this will be expensive, esp if using rock wool, but it will be very effective. it will also give you a UL rated 1 hr firebreak. to really up it... rockwool, 5/8 sheetrock, sound board, sound channel, 5/8 sheetrock with acoustic caulking at all edge joints. it's the system we use in all medical exam rooms...

Reactions: Warm_in_NH
Sounds very pro. Could he eliminate the sound track and instead put Roxul in the joist cavities then screw sheets of micore over them, then sheetrock? Seems like that would be pretty quiet, at least enough to hush the expletives.

Music/TV and woodworking noises (including shouted expletives).
Usually the best system for residential situations like this, assuming you have an extra coupl'a inches of ceiling height to spare, is to install ceiling joists (can be lighter than floor joists for the same span) between and slightly lower than the floor joists. In this way, your ceiling is completely isolated from the floor. Install bat insulation and sheet rock, and voila... sound isolation.

Sounds very pro. Could he eliminate the sound track and instead put Roxul in the joist cavities then screw sheets of micore over them, then sheetrock? Seems like that would be pretty quiet, at least enough to hush the expletives.

sound channel is a LOT cheaper than sheeting with micore...

Usually the best system for residential situations like this, assuming you have an extra coupl'a inches of ceiling height to spare, is to install ceiling joists (can be lighter than floor joists for the same span) between and slightly lower than the floor joists. In this way, your ceiling is completely isolated from the floor. Install bat insulation and sheet rock, and voila... sound isolation.

this is another solution... however one that can be problematic depending on local codes. it is very similar to a sound isolation wall, but on the ceiling.

Just whatever you do if you use mineral wool like Roxul sheetrock the ceiling. You don't even want the short fiber from that stuff floating down and getting sucked into your lungs.

And wear a mask when you install the stuff.

I had heard that two thinner layers of drywall with staggered joints were better than one thick piece. That's with whatever else you use to reduce the sound transfer.

I believe that the methods for decreasing sound transmission vary depending on the frequencies you're targeting.
The decoupling or isolation that Joful mentioned works best for lower frequencies while added mass and air sealing generally helps more with higher frequencies (or something like that).

I can tell you from my experience of removing a 5/8" drywall ceiling with 4" of fiberglass batt above the shop area in my house that the ceiling I removed made a major difference in how much noise we heard upstairs.

Solid materials transmit noise / vibration.
for a thorough job, Joful explained it pretty well. Nothing solid running from noisy area to quiet area. If there is there will be some sound transmitted. May be overkill, just depends on what you're looking to accomplish and how much noise you want to tolerate.

ceiling joists...hmmm...i'm having trouble visualizing this. so i would put the insulation as low as i could and leave a gap of space between it and the ceiling?

Cut & stuff drop ceiling tiles up in the cavity. Back in the day, we used thick sound deadening cork board.

ceiling joists...hmmm...i'm having trouble visualizing this. so i would put the insulation as low as i could and leave a gap of space between it and the ceiling?
image.jpg

Cut & stuff drop ceiling tiles up in the cavity. Back in the day, we used thick sound deadening cork board.
I believe acoustic ceiling tiles are frequently made from the same stuff as Micore in a denser form.

Solid materials transmit noise / vibration.
for a thorough job, Joful explained it pretty well. Nothing solid running from noisy area to quiet area. If there is there will be some sound transmitted. May be overkill, just depends on what you're looking to accomplish and how much noise you want to tolerate.
Well yes, but air does a pretty good job of transmitting sound too. That's why air sealing is important for noise reduction.

If you have the head room you could always insulate whats there now and put in a suspended ceiling with acoustic tiles. I hate suspended ceilings, but they have their place and the basement is one of them. Still have full access to wires and plumbing and they work well with sound since they're hanging on wires.

If you have the head room you could always insulate whats there now and put in a suspended ceiling with acoustic tiles. I hate suspended ceilings, but they have their place and the basement is one of them. Still have full access to wires and plumbing and they work well with sound since they're hanging on wires.
I agree with this as well. Unless you're splitting up occupancies a little noise transfer isn't a big deal. I hate drop ceilings, but I'll never sheetrock another basement. I went through the same thing about 5yrs ago, and now everyone sits around with headphones on their head watching Netflix!

Status
Not open for further replies.