Basement cinderblock gaps = air leak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jhoff75

Jan 17, 2009
Northern MD
Hey- was hoping you guys could chime in with some suggstions on how best to handle a draft issue in the basement. I have 2 rows of cinderblocks making up the basement wall. The second layer of blocks does not go all the way up to the sill plate, but rather stops a little short of the ceiling (about 1 foot short). There is a pretty decent draft coming up from the gap created by the holes in the cinderblocks. I'm thinking of spraying in some Great Stuff foam to seal up the draft...not looking to fill the whole chamber, but just the top portion to stop the draft. Interested in your thoughts on the "plan", especially any concerns you have about moisure problems it could cause...
THX

Czar, thanks fror the suggestion -- I've used the great stuff product before, and think it wuld be fine for the job (application not to difficult) just didn't know if anyone out there thinks this could backfire in any way (moisture, etc.). Thanks for the input...

Status
Not open for further replies.