Basement Fireplace w/ Air Vents to 1st Floor?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

avc8130

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 6, 2010
God's Gift to Gassification
I recently bought a new house. The basement under 3 bedrooms is finished. There is a FPX 44 Elite Fireplace in the basement. I am wondering if I can cut some holes in the ceiling in line with the walls upstairs and install wall registers near the floor in the rooms upstairs to help flow the heat into the bedrooms.

Thoughts?
ac

avc8130, first off, the vents will work as a cold air return, that is assuming the heat has another way up like a stairwell. Heat seems to work sorta like electricity, it takes the path of least resistance, therefore, it will still go up the stiarwell, but the colder air in the bedrooms will fall through the vents and be replaced by warmer air.

Now, on to the risks of cutting vents.

It may or may not be against local building codes, so check that. Also, there are vents made with a heat activated, automatic closing system. Remember the vents will work as a cold air return so with these vents, god forbid there is a house fire, they close automaticly, but otherwise they allow the cold air to fall. Something you should absolutely consider.

shawneyboy said:
avc8130, first off, the vents will work as a cold air return, that is assuming the heat has another way up like a stairwell. Heat seems to work sorta like electricity, it takes the path of least resistance, therefore, it will still go up the stiarwell, but the colder air in the bedrooms will fall through the vents and be replaced by warmer air.

It may or may not be against local building codes, so check that. Also, there are vents made with a heat activated, automatic closing system. Remember the vents will work as a cold air return so with these vents, god forbid there is a house fire, they close automaticly, but otherwise they allow the cold air to fall. Something you should absolutely consider.

I was trying to figure that out. Since the fireplace uses "positive pressure" I figured the heat would rise up through the vents and be forced up. Cold air could return through the stairwell or vents. Honestly, I don't really care how the air moved as long as upstairs was winding up warmer. LOL

I hadn't thought about that. These vents would possibly kill the fire blocking from basement to 1st floor. I wonder how a forced air duct would be any different. I could always run actual duct work if that would be the difference.

ac

avc8130 said:
shawneyboy said:

I was trying to figure that out. Since the fireplace uses "positive pressure" I figured the heat would rise up through the vents and be forced up. Cold air could return through the stairwell or vents. Honestly, I don't really care how the air moved as long as upstairs was winding up warmer. LOL

I hadn't thought about that. These vents would possibly kill the fire blocking from basement to 1st floor. I wonder how a forced air duct would be any different. I could always run actual duct work if that would be the difference.

ac

A duct would at least be less flammable and, if longer, a less direct path to fire.

Also, remember that vents transmit more than air and heat--sound too. You may not want people in your finished basement hearing what's going on in your bedroom, and vice versa.

Here's a commercial source of temp-equalizing solutions: http://www.tjernlund.com/

HTH, and good luck!

I first tried the register in the floor method and it did help out some...but not as warm as i would like.So this year I cut two more registers in the floor and installed a duct work system with dampers and everything(a good buddy of mine who does pro HVAC work helped me) Any ways on a cold night like tonight my house is 70-72 in all living areas.The total cost of the job was 500 including duct,tape,dampers,duct insulation and fan.

94ranger55 said:
I first tried the register in the floor method and it did help out some...but not as warm as i would like.So this year I cut two more registers in the floor and installed a duct work system with dampers and everything(a good buddy of mine who does pro HVAC work helped me) Any ways on a cold night like tonight my house is 70-72 in all living areas.The total cost of the job was 500 including duct,tape,dampers,duct insulation and fan.

Nice!

Can you share some details about where your ran the air from and to?

94ranger55 said:

Were you running a "positive pressure" system like my Xtrordinair?

I am wondering if this puppy pushing out 338cfm will make hot air move. I don't think I can "add" cold air since it will be pulling it's own supply from outside.
ac

I was basically sick of my basement being 80-90 degrees and the rest of the house being temperate. So I figured why not harness the 50,00 btu's a hour my stove produce's and get more of it up stairs.Before the duct system you could feel a tidal wave of hot air in the basement stair well area ,but that did not really translate into make the living space warm.Now I can keep my basement door shut and when I open it the temp difference is almost equal(living area70-75 basement same )all and all I am very happy and warmer !

I bought a steel housed 550cfm eco-tech fan(model fg-10) and placed it above the hearth area in my basement...i also made the switch that controls the fan variable so i can pick how much warm I want to move.On the highest fan setting i can barley hear the noise in the living space,but if Iam working or relaxing in the man cave i run the fan a little lower and still be very comfortable. I have a total of five registers in the house. Installation time took about 8hours with me and my ffreind. What is very nice is that as long as a fire is going i can pick and chose where I want the warm air to go with built in duct dampers !

I hope this info helps!

can you post a pic ?

Status
Not open for further replies.