Basement flood, soggy Dellpoint Europa- calling Franks!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Exmasonite

Feeling the Heat
Oct 3, 2010
Novi, MI
Hey all... have another thread going in Non-hearth/DIY about my flooded basement woes but have a more pointed question here about my pellet stove.

So, got 4" of water throughout entire basement yesterday.

Water line came up 3-4" on my Dellpoint Europa. Bottom of Europa is mainly the ash pan but the electrical enters through the back end and not sure what else may be back there.

Bottom line, not even gonna consider firing up stove until adjuster is out to house and electrical is cleared through contractors, etc. Also will plan on getting a stove tech out to look at stove. This is shaping up to a major claim... going to suck.

Just wondering if anybody had any thoughts or experience with potential water damage to pellet stoves and things to keep in mind.

Franks- if you're out there, would appreciate any expertise since it's a Europa.

Hello

My stove is in the basement also. Therefore I built a raised hearth because I had water last spring. The hearth is a little over 9 inches high to keep the stove high and dry. See pic below

Do u have a pic so we can see and give better comments?

Attachments

• PS1PelletStove 016SC.jpg
    PS1PelletStove 016SC.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 447
will have to get the pics up later. Was about 4" up the side of the stove. Water is pumped out and starting the assessment but may not touch stove until adjuster comes out. The electrical socket outlet was definitely under water, not sure what else is back there. Ash pan is the majority of the bottom and should be fine but unsure of implications for electrical along back of stove.

Btw, stove was not running when this happened but was "plugged in" to a power strip, was drawing power (stove had run out of pellets the other night so still had some output to the display). Powerstrip was partially underwater and smoldering.

Having that power strip "smoldering" is very concerning. While we stress over and over to have a surge protector, we should also stress the importance of having any below grade outlets connected to a GFCI. Those will shut a line down within a fraction of a second. No smoldering outlets! Seeing my wife get zapped once was all the convincing I needed to put all the outlets on the GFCI. Very easy to do. It is is not installed on the home's circuit board, you can install one in the first box of an electrical line. The remaining outlets will be covered by the first GFCI in the line. Use them anywhere there is a potential for water spills or wetness. You can even buy one and plug it in any outlet, then plug you electrical device into it. Most often, Code requires them in any outside or below grade installations as well as kitchens and baths. For safety sake, insist on using these when your repairs are being down. Glad "all" the water damage didn't result in someone being hurt.

Sorry it took me so long to respond. For some reason, random posts get marked as read even though I didnt read them. If you ever need me, just click the email address in my profile. I went to my Europa, opened up both sides and measured 4" off the floor. I didnt see anything mechanical that would be affected by water. The primary compenents are fuse protected. I'd let it dry our VERY good and then fire it up under supervision.

Exmasonite said:
So, got 4" of water throughout entire basement yesterday......

Get ready....more heavy rain coming tonight & tomorrow. You might want to try renting a sump pump.

sorry... been offline for a day pulling up carpet/carpet pad and fighting off walking pneumonia. good times.

Franks- Thank you SO much for the reply. Would eventually have dropped a PM or email but wasn't super urgent and figured i'd share the comment. Thanks again. I peeked myself, i think it's going to be ok but likely going to pay to get a certified stove tech out here (from the place that sold the stove so hopefully remembers the europa, hehe) to make sure.

We have a loaner sump pump in place now (it's what emptied the basement) and hopefully will have a permanent replacement in tomorrow.

Thanks again for all the help... will keep people posted on how this turns out.

Status
Not open for further replies.