Basement flue with no bottom clean out?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow... Didn't mean to start such a heated discussion.... I think if I need room I'll chisel out some of the brick and mortar to make room for the tee. The chimney's clean out is a good 4 plus feet below the thimble level and it's the "60s" style steel door with no seal what so ever.

I'll just disconnect the stove pipe each time I clean the liner and remove the buildup at that time while sweeping the stove pipe too. Not a huge deal I think.

Thank you to all for the input.

Mike

Reactions: bholler
The chimney's clean out is a good 4 plus feet below the thimble level and it's the "60s" style steel door with no seal what so ever.
And that door is for the ash drop on the fireplace correct? It would be allot of work to put in a clean out and would not be worth it at all you have the right idea just clear a little bit so you have enough room and you will be good.

Reactions: NVHunter
the clean out is an extension of the liner also and if no air is getting in then it is a sealed system
How could you possibly confirm there is no air getting into the system? There can be gaps in liners open block cores in the crock and cleanout and lots of other potential areas for air leaks in an old clay lined chimney. Not to mention the door which is usually not sealed well at all. And regardless to pas the ul tests that liner system needs to be a sealed system separate from the rest of the chimney Which if you leave the tee cap off it is not.

That's why they make draft gauges and such
So you are going to install it start a fire and get everything up to temp so you can test the draft and if you dont have enough you are then going to pull the liner and put the cap on? That would be much easier than just putting the cap on to start with.

Word. Also if the air from clean out was by passing the stove completely how did the stove over fire to begin with considering it obviously had no draft
Two separate incidents within a week or two.
I have since moved the clean out door up to Tee level so I could cap it. Hasn't experienced any issues in the 3 seasons since I fixed it. It would have been so much easier to do it right the first time.

And that door is for the ash drop on the fireplace correct? It would be allot of work to put in a clean out and would not be worth it at all you have the right idea just clear a little bit so you have enough room and you will be good.
Yes just for the fireplace. Other flue is sealed up from clean out location.

Status
Not open for further replies.