Basement heater

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisasst

Minister of Fire
Aug 13, 2008
cortland ny
I have a very open basement, very low ceiling. Pipes freeze every now and then. Last night my water holder froze or something. Went and dragged my father in laws big kerosene ( its big, heavy and I have stairs etc..) so I need to get something of my own. Here was the choices I was looking at..

~~Mr. Heater 75,000 BTU Kerosene Forced-Air Heater #F270275 $200
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...c_mri?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance

~~Mr. Heater 50,000-85,000 BTU Propane Forced Air Heater #F270085 $172
http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-000...1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1236090447&sr=1-1

~~Mr. Heater 80,000 BTU Propane Convection Heater #F270480 $100
http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-Propane-Convection-F270480/dp/B0000C6E2Z/ref=pd_sbs_hg_4

Lots of good reviews on the last one,,,

any of you have any of these?

What's your cost for propane, kerosene and electric (including taxes)? And what's your heat source for the rest of the house?

I think these are ok if you are looking for something to thaw out frozen pipes in a hurry. I would be concerned about the possibility of bursting pipes. Did you have freezing problems before going to a pellet stove? If not it may be cost effective to allow your central system to cycle a bit in sub freezing temperatures or perhaps consider a small ceramic electric heater($20-$30) with a thermostat near the area that freezes. Try using a Harbor Frieght non contact laser thermometer identify where the cold places are and set the heater accordingly. You only have to keep it above freezing (32) but-40 Degrees gives safe margin to prevent freezing.

Maybe be concerned with C0?

I would not use any of these products in an enclosed basement due to CO and open flame concerns.

These heaters you listed all look like they would do a good job thawing out frozen pipes, but they are not the type of heaters one would typically install in a basement to prevent the pipes from freezing in the first place. As mentioned above, I would look into a ceramic space heater and possibly leaving some lights on down there, this should be enough to keep everything from freezing, assuming the basement is sealed. You can also look into electrical pipe heaters as well. But, I certainly would not want to run a salamander type heater down there, unless I was looking to kill myself and my family.

CZARCAR said:
modern unvented propane heaters come with safety,O2, sensor which preempt CO production as they shut down automatically & thats what i'd get
Last year I purchased a thermostat controlled ventless propane heater from Lowes with the intent of keeping my garage in the basement of my house warm enough to work in. When I read the installation instructions (unusual for me) I found they recommended a fresh air source from somewhere. I was reading the instructions from another of this type that said they would shut down if there was insufficient oxygen but further recommended having a CO detector. Since the garage is below my bedroom and I didn't want to take the big sleep I returned it. Another factor was the cost of a regulator and propane cylinder (a 20 lb cylinder would not last very long) I would research fully the particular unit specifications and requirements, I have seen notices in ads that some states prohibit use in living areas. Whatever is in the basement will find its way upstairs.

CZARCAR said:
i smoke & co aint killed me yet. registers as 40ppm on digital co detector & thats how i know it works. all comes down to the $ u got to play with,i guess
My solution to the garage heating problem was to modify my oil furnace ductwork divert 90% of my furnace air to existing vents in the garage. When I want to work there I shut down the pellet stove and bring the oil furnace on line. It doesn't take long to warm it up and I didn't have to buy anything. I had occasionally used a kerosene heater in the past but didn't like the smell and am becoming a bit more health conscious in my senior years. With the price of HHO dropping the cost is probably close to a wash.

ok,hold on a minute...I guess I should have further explained... I am not looking at these units for a primary heating source down in my basement. I was just looking at something to thaw pipes if they freeze..

yes I did have a freezing problem even when I was using my oil furnace. I could use that again if I wanted to anyway with out a lot of work..I ceramic heater won't do anything down there unless I really tighten the basement up. Way to much cold here in there..

The water holder is a small unit that the water pump, pumps water in so the water pump is not running all the time.

chrisasst said:
ok,hold on a minute...I guess I should have further explained... I am not looking at these units for a primary heating source down in my basement. I was just looking at something to thaw pipes if they freeze..

yes I did have a freezing problem even when I was using my oil furnace. I could use that again if I wanted to anyway with out a lot of work..I ceramic heater won't do anything down there unless I really tighten the basement up. Way to much cold here in there..

The water holder is a small unit that the water pump, pumps water in so the water pump is not running all the time.

your holding tank....... try running some electrical heat trace and insulating the tank and all your basement pipes

if thats the only thing that freezes

Status
Not open for further replies.